I want to go to the priesthood but I'm going through soo many obstacles.. Here's one of the major ones

• Thread starter Thread starter brandon_ross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandon_ross

Hey… I’ve been wanting to go to the priesthood… I’m 19 but there’s this thing that’s buggin me… I have a crush on my step-cousin… Honestly, I think she likes me too… But we haven’t talked about it… I just don’t know what to do… I feel like this is just lust but sometimes i feel like its love… I’m confused as heck… Do I need to tell her anything? Do I maybe say that I like her too but It’s just not right… Because I don’t wanna end up in hell nor do I want her too as well… This is suchh a mess… It’s just so awkward writing this as well but I feel like I need help… In fact, I really do need help… My brain is just constantly thinking and I just cant stop. Help ME PLEASEEE

You are 19. Crushes are normal. Speak to your spiritual director, or your pastor if you don’t have a spiritual director. Also reach out to the vocations director in your diocese if you want to discern a vocation to the priesthood.

You must speak to a priest, a priest who is or becomes your spiritual director.

As soon as possibleeeeeeeee 😉 ❤️

Speaking from a practical level:

You say “STEP-cousin”. That implies there is a non-biological relationship with her. If there is a non-biological relationship check the laws of your state. Some states (at least in the past) haven’t considered biology when saying which relationships violate consanguinity laws.

I agree with the advice of others saying to consult your spiritual director, but keep in mind: you believe she MAY be reciprocating those feelings. If that’s the case then she may appreciate being allowed some (name removed by moderator)ut into the question. If nothing else, discussing the issue with her opens the door to you both praying for the other (which would also quickly clear up the question of “is this simply a crush or not?”)

YMMV.

Last edited:
Hey… I’ve been wanting to go to the priesthood… I’m 19 but there’s this thing that’s buggin me… I have a crush on my step-cousin… Honestly, I think she likes me too… But we haven’t talked about it… I just don’t know what to do… I feel like this is just lust but sometimes i feel like its love… I’m confused as heck… Do I need to tell her anything? Do I maybe say that I like her too but It’s just not right… Because I don’t wanna end up in hell nor do I want her too as well… This is suchh a mess… It’s just so awkward writing this as well but I feel like I need help… In fact, I really do need help… My brain is just constantly thinking and I just cant stop. Help ME PLEASEEE
A crush causes production of the following: norepinephrine, dopamine, and endogenous opioids. In time the crush will cease and you will be free of it to reconsider.

You say “STEP-cousin”. That implies there is a non-biological relationship with her. If there is a non-biological relationship check the laws of your state. Some states (at least in the past) haven’t considered biology when saying which relationships violate consanguinity laws.
Consanguinity (relationship by blood) and affinity (relationship by marriage, e.g., step-cousin) would be significant if the OP is thinking about marriage, but he didn’t mention that.

Last edited:
. . . . It may be different for you. I just wanted to say - being in love and discerning the priesthood is quite hard dilemma. But this experience of love that can or can not become marriage - this experience is and will be very precious for you in any case and even more precious if you become priest indeed. Maybe that is God’s gift - to provide some insight about world. It can be painful. But life can be painful, sometimes is painful.

Last edited:
I say its all about discernment. This is part of it, marriage or priesthood. It is a question for you and those helping you discern. Even St John Paul II had a gf before he entered the priesthood.

If I were you, I would give it time. If it is God’s will that you become a priest, the crush will go away and this may have been a test. In time you will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back