I want to help souls in purgatory

• Thread starter Thread starter Jocelyn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jocelyn

Aside from having a mass said, what can I do or which prayers must I pray to help move the souls in purgatory into heaven?

Prayer of St. Gertrude the Great
Our Lord dictated the following prayer to St. Gertrude the Great to release 1,000 Souls from Purgatory each time it is said.

“Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.”

You can’t get away from me tonight! You can offer your prayers for them. Your prayers need not be literal words spoken as we are to pray without ceasing in our every action. Singing God’s praises, living out our vocations (parenting, laundry, dishes, even suffering etc can all be offered to God). Or you can pray one of the approved prayers that I linked to in your other thread: catholic.org/clife/prayers/indulgw.php

Of course, for a plenary indulgence, you must be free from all sin (even venial), go to confession, take communion, and pray for the Holy Father. Otherwise you are looking at partial indulgences.

More reading:
catholic.org/prayers/indulg.php

catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp

catholic.com/library/Intercession_of_the_Saints.asp

catholic.com/library/Primer_on_Indulgences.asp

catholic.com/library/Myths_About_Indulgences.asp

40.png
Jocelyn:
Aside from having a mass said, what can I do or which prayers must I pray to help move the souls in purgatory into heaven?
You can say the Saint Gertude prayer as suggested, or join this group, Prayer Warriors of the Holy Souls, >> pwhs-mfi.org/

You can put your loved ones on this site to be prayed for by all it’s members.

You can also say the Chaplet for the Holy Souls.
catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap15.htm

40.png
Jocelyn:
Whatever you do, mention them by name first. If you know no one, mention them by condition (e.g. most forgotten, or closest to being released, etc.).

In addition to having Masses said (especially a set of Gregorian Masses), one of the most consoling things I think you can do for them is to succeed where they failed. For example, if you know of someone who was a religious who avoided their duty, then the best thing you can do for them is to do your duty faithfully. If someone suffers from having been worldly, then live more religiously. Etc. For part of their pain is due to the bad example they gave, and of those who follow their bad example. And, do these things for those you specifically name.

I learned these things from my reading about the poor souls.

hurst

those who are in prison. those whom lack freedom of will. offer them love and prayers

Last Holy Thursday our Pastor had everyone at Mass fill out a card for a special devotion that they would do all year, and mine was/is to say the Rosary every week for the souls in Purgatory. I do other things, as this is an area I have done a lot more of in the last few years, but I make it a point to say the Rosary for them at least once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back