I went to a Sunday Mass for the first time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaker397
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaker397

Guest
Hello, I am an Christian who would like to convert to Catholicism. I went to a Sunday Mass at the St. Joseph Catholic Church for the first time ever today. I felt a bit awkward at first, but soon felt fine. I did embarrass myself a bit though when I naively walked in the communion line despite not being a Catholic, but I got over it quickly.

When I got home, my dad didn’t seem too pleased that I went to the church. Not angry, but definitely displeased. He’s an ex-Jehovah’s Witness and is anti-Catholic. His reasoning for this being because he disagrees with the Holy Trinity and doesn’t like the Church’s past. He suggested a Protestant church, despite the fact that they also believe in the Holy Trinity, or a Born Again movement of some sort. We didn’t get into an argument just a discussion, which I’m at least glad.

It does bring me some worry of what my whole family would think though. My family is very religiously mixed, ranging from being irreligious/atheistic to being Christian to being Muslim. Strangely enough lot of them are anti-Catholic as well. My main worry is being singled out for my beliefs or being talked down to in any way. What should I say to my family if this is ever to happen?
 
Hello, I am an Christian who would like to convert to Catholicism. I went to a Sunday Mass at the St. Joseph Catholic Church for the first time ever today. I felt a bit awkward at first, but soon felt fine. I did embarrass myself a bit though when I naively walked in the communion line despite not being a Catholic, but I got over it quickly.

When I got home, my dad didn’t seem too pleased that I went to the church. Not angry, but definitely displeased. He’s an ex-Jehovah’s Witness and is anti-Catholic. His reasoning for this being because he disagrees with the Holy Trinity and doesn’t like the Church’s past. He suggested a Protestant church, despite the fact that they also believe in the Holy Trinity, or a Born Again movement of some sort. We didn’t get into an argument just a discussion, which I’m at least glad.

It does bring me some worry of what my whole family would think though. My family is very religiously mixed, ranging from being irreligious/atheistic to being Christian to being Muslim. Strangely enough lot of them are anti-Catholic as well. My main worry is being singled out for my beliefs or being talked down to in any way. What should I say to my family if this is ever to happen?
[BIBLEDRB]John 15:18-21[/BIBLEDRB]
Offer it up. Let me tell you, receiving the Eucharist once you become Catholic will make everything better 🙂
Good for you :extrahappy: You’re in for the ride of your life 🙂
 
Hello, I am an Christian who would like to convert to Catholicism. I went to a Sunday Mass at the St. Joseph Catholic Church for the first time ever today. I felt a bit awkward at first, but soon felt fine. I did embarrass myself a bit though when I naively walked in the communion line despite not being a Catholic, but I got over it quickly.

When I got home, my dad didn’t seem too pleased that I went to the church. Not angry, but definitely displeased. He’s an ex-Jehovah’s Witness and is anti-Catholic. His reasoning for this being because he disagrees with the Holy Trinity and doesn’t like the Church’s past. He suggested a Protestant church, despite the fact that they also believe in the Holy Trinity, or a Born Again movement of some sort. We didn’t get into an argument just a discussion, which I’m at least glad.

It does bring me some worry of what my whole family would think though. My family is very religiously mixed, ranging from being irreligious/atheistic to being Christian to being Muslim. Strangely enough lot of them are anti-Catholic as well. My main worry is being singled out for my beliefs or being talked down to in any way. What should I say to my family if this is ever to happen?
I think one should begin the life long excursion of learning the faith. Speak to a priest at the Church. Then, until one begins to learn more, then I would engage the family. Otherwise, when inappropriate items are thrown your way, if it were to me, I would try and say, ‘I’ll get back to on that’. I would then research the matter with a trusted resource.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said, “There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.” You will become a teacher and maybe that is what our Lord wants of you in your situation!

Prayers are with you.🙂
 
:hug1:
Congratulations! 🙂

Good for you Jake. You have some guts doing that. Pray for faith in God and God’s protection.

Can I ask you age? If you are old enough you can attend RCIA and learn about the faith. 🙂

God bless you. Don’t worry, we’ll be behind you in prayer. :gopray:
 
I would recommend joining whats called RCIA. Its basically Catholicism 101 and you will learn a lot; so much that I think you will become comfortable in your decision to come to a Catholic church. I started a thread about it called Starting RCIA, you can search for it for more info.

Good luck.
 
Jake, pick up a copy of Karl Keating’s ‘Fundamentalism and Catholicism’. This helped me when I converted in the early 90s. Peace be on you as you journey home to God’s House, the one true faith…Where Almighty God Dwells With Men This Very Day and Even To The End of The Age…
 
Hello, I am an Christian who would like to convert to Catholicism. I went to a Sunday Mass at the St. Joseph Catholic Church for the first time ever today. I felt a bit awkward at first, but soon felt fine. I did embarrass myself a bit though when I naively walked in the communion line despite not being a Catholic, but I got over it quickly.

When I got home, my dad didn’t seem too pleased that I went to the church. Not angry, but definitely displeased. He’s an ex-Jehovah’s Witness and is anti-Catholic. His reasoning for this being because he disagrees with the Holy Trinity and doesn’t like the Church’s past. He suggested a Protestant church, despite the fact that they also believe in the Holy Trinity, or a Born Again movement of some sort. We didn’t get into an argument just a discussion, which I’m at least glad.
Hi Jaker397,

I’d like to share a little piece of history about what you witnessed when you attended mass. This is from Justin Martyr’s 1st apology, written about AD150, which shows how the early Church worshipped.

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits;(Liturgy of the Word) then, when the reader has ceased, the president (Priest) verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things.(The sermon or homily) Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended,(Intercessory prayers) bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen;(Eucharistic consecration) and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit;(Collection) and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need.

This is a full description of today’s mass. I added the explanationn in green. As you can see, it has been this way since the beginning. Congratulations and blessings for taking part in the cermony that is as old as the Church itself.
 
\Not angry, but definitely displeased. He’s an ex-Jehovah’s Witness and is anti-Catholic. His reasoning for this being because he disagrees with the Holy Trinity and doesn’t like the Church’s past.\

**Jehovah’s False Witnesses don’t have a history that is entirely savory.

I wonder how much your father actually KNOWS about the Church’s past, and how much he’s knows that’s merely disinformation.**
 
I am in RCIA and highly recommend it. Call your parish office and ask for the RCIA coordinator’s contact info. You probably will start off in the inquiry phase which will be very helpful for an overview.

I know what you mean about making mistakes at Mass. It takes time to get everything right but well worth it as the Mass becomes more and more meaningful. Don’t be too hard on yourself and don’t worry what other people think - many will assume you may be converting and simply be happy you are there.

Your family sounds interesting but confused. In the search for the truth they apparently tried everything (I know, an exaggeration) but the 1 place they could find it. I wouldn’t engage them in a battle right now. Give them some time to soften and yourself time to learn more. The time will be right then for real discussion.
 
Thank you everyone. I am 20, so yes I can sign up for RCIA.
**Jehovah’s False Witnesses don’t have a history that is entirely savory.

I wonder how much your father actually KNOWS about the Church’s past, and how much he’s knows that’s merely disinformation.**
Yeah I don’t think he knows a whole lot about either beliefs past. He even admitted that he thinks the JW never did anything note worthily wrong:eek:. Not that I hold it against him.

Again, thank you and God bless you all.:getholy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top