I work on the weekends

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abundant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Abundant

Guest
I have a job that requires me to work weekends (Saturday and Sunday). Because of this schedule, attending mass on the weekends is next to impossible. Quitting my job is not an option because my family needs the income. I was laid off 2 years ago, and it took me almost that long to find this job. Can I attend mass on a different day of the week to fulfill my obligatioin? What about the ‘keep the Sabbath holy’ commandment? Am I not allowed to work on Sunday or can I just honor 1 day a week as a rest day?
 
I have a job that requires me to work weekends (Saturday and Sunday). Because of this schedule, attending mass on the weekends is next to impossible. Quitting my job is not an option because my family needs the income. I was laid off 2 years ago, and it took me almost that long to find this job. Can I attend mass on a different day of the week to fulfill my obligatioin? What about the ‘keep the Sabbath holy’ commandment? Am I not allowed to work on Sunday or can I just honor 1 day a week as a rest day?
Have you checked the website for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston to see what the Mass schedules are like in Houston proper? That would be a good resource to have. You could see which one could fit into your work schedule. You could also see about the possibility of going to Mass during your lunch-hour, or asking if you could schedule your lunch-hour to coincide with Mass. Sometimes, university campuses do have late evening Masses. That is also another possibility.

Here is the website for Galveston-Houston:

diogh.org/

I hope this helps.

The last resort would be to talk to your pastor. The Church certainly does not want to place an undue burden on her children, especially if their livelihood is concerned.
 
I have been trying to leave early on Saturday nights (I work until 7) to attend Saturday evening mass. What are your thoughts about honoring the Sabbath and keeping it holy though? Am I sinning by working on Sunday??
 
I have been trying to leave early on Saturday nights (I work until 7) to attend Saturday evening mass. What are your thoughts about honoring the Sabbath and keeping it holy though? Am I sinning by working on Sunday??
Resurrection Church, according to the website, has its Saturday evening Mass at 7:30PM. Even though it’s in Spanish, it is still the Holy Sacrifice.

You have to work to support yourself and/or your familiy. The Church is not going to come down hard on you because of this. You can very well keep the Lord’s Day holy by simply being a good employee at work, being kind to your co-workers and doing your everyday activities with love.
 
Canon 1248:
§2 If it is impossible to assist at a eucharistic celebration, either because no sacred minister is available or for some other grave reason, the faithful are strongly recommended to take part in a liturgy of the Word, if there be such in the parish church or some other sacred place, which is celebrated in accordance with the provisions laid down by the diocesan Bishop; **or to spend an appropriate time in prayer, whether personally or as a family **or, as occasion presents, in a group of families.
Benedictgal is right. You have to work to support yourself and your family. You don’t have much choice there.
 
I have a job that requires me to work weekends (Saturday and Sunday). Because of this schedule, attending mass on the weekends is next to impossible. Quitting my job is not an option because my family needs the income. I was laid off 2 years ago, and it took me almost that long to find this job. Can I attend mass on a different day of the week to fulfill my obligatioin? What about the ‘keep the Sabbath holy’ commandment? Am I not allowed to work on Sunday or can I just honor 1 day a week as a rest day?
Not sure if this is the case or not–but isn’t an employer required to not discriminate on the basis of religion–and for a Catholic, this would mean accomodating your need to go to Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day of obligation…maybe the lawyers or civil rights people out there can give us an answer on this…
 
I have been going, it’s just very exhuasting and I don’t get to go with my family because my house is about 45 minutes away from the office. I don’t mind making the ‘sacrifice’ so to speak to go though because afterall—His sacrifice was greater. I was more worried about ‘working’ on the Sabbath, but benedictgal reassured me about that. I also try to use one of my days off (2 days during the week) to go to mass and spend the day relaxing and enjoying my kids. I wake up each morning before work (I don’t come in until 10) reading the Bible and spending time in God’s presence. Thanks, everyone for your encouragement.
 
As for Mass…yes if there is one available…even if another language…go to it.

*you can also seek a dispensation from your Pastor

Catechism:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. the faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure - the necessity of charity accepts just work.124
 
My son too works every weekend. He attends Mass either before or after work. He asked his boss to make his schedule on that way that he could go mass either Saturday evening or Sunday morning. It happened quite a few times that he came home from work at 12:30 AM and went to the 9:30AM mass same day to be able to start work at 11AM.

It this seems to be too much, you may ask your pastor or confessor to get dispensation and exchanging the Sunday Mass to weekday Mass.

In case of community service Sunday work is allowed.
 
Can I attend mass on a different day of the week to fulfill my obligatioin? What about the ‘keep the Sabbath holy’ commandment? Am I not allowed to work on Sunday or can I just honor 1 day a week as a rest day?
Others have done a good job addressing the Sunday obligation issues. If you can’t meet the canonical obligations for that day, often that obligation can be dispensed.

However, you don’t get to choose what day counts as Sunday - the Church decides when Sunday is and isn’t. You can’t go to mass on Tuesday and use it as a day of rest and decide you’ve met your Sunday obligation. Rules is rules, and if it isn’t Sunday, it isn’t Sunday. However, I think your approach of setting aside such time is a great one. Just don’t get locked into the idea that you have to go to mass and rest on one day a week to meet your obligation. Some weeks you may not be able to do this at all. Some weeks you may choose to do this on two or more days. Some weeks you may go to mass one day and rest on a different day. It’s all fine, because it’s in addition to and separate from your obligation, not in place of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top