iBreviary or Divine Office?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeeSweet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BeeSweet

Guest
Anyone have experience with both apps for android and can tell me the pros/cons of each?

thank you!

:harp:
 
I am not familiar with Divine Office, but check out, Laudate. iBreviary is nicer looking but it’s slow and lacks a lot of content available with Laudate, which I believe is the #1 free Catholic app. It’s very fast, lets you add your own prayers and such.
 
I am not familiar with Divine Office, but check out, Laudate. iBreviary is nicer looking but it’s slow and lacks a lot of content available with Laudate, which I believe is the #1 free Catholic app. It’s very fast, lets you add your own prayers and such.
The difference is between Universalis and divineoffice.org.

Laudate/Universalis: Uses the universal calendar. So if you celebrate something on the Sunday, like Epiphany or Corpus Christi in the US, it won’t recognize that. It also doesn’t use the Grail Psalms. However, it does offer Latin as a nice bonus, even if it only indicates stress, not long vowels. (How do they expect me to learn Latin that way?)

Divine Office app/divineoffice.org: In general, it seems to use the US calendar. So things like Epiphany and Corpus Christi are treated as being on Sunday, without an easy option to switch. Although, since Nebraska and New England retain the Ascension on Thursday, it does offer that option. It does use the Grail Psalms, but does not offer any other languages.

No clue about iBreviary. But between Laudate and the Divine Office app, I would recommend the latter, at least if you’re in the US. (And in fact, their website is what I use if I’m away from my copy of Christian Prayer)

EDIT: At least for the Divine Office. Of course download Laudate for general use.
 
iBreviary is easy to use and has an appealing interface, so it has my thumbs up. It was recommended to me and I’ve been so pleased with it I haven’t tried anything since.
 
Most clergy I know use iBreviary, but then again they have iPhones and I don’t know if there are differences between the iPhone and Android versions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top