Icons

• Thread starter Thread starter Philip
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philip

Friends,

What are your opinions of icons as sacred art? For Roman Catholics, icons as such have not been very common. I assume that they may be more common in the Eastern Catholic churches that are in communion with Rome, but I don’t know for sure.

I’m also interested in your thoughts about purchasing and displaying icons that were made by Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox artisans. I assume that as long as the art is consistent with the canons of the Catholic church that these items would be welcome in a Catholic home. I also like the idea of reaching out to our separated Orthodox brethren, and see this as one small step in that direction.

Am I missing anything?

Philip

You are right to suppose Icons are more in the Eastern traditions. In the Greek and Russian Orthodox Church, they are venerated with kisses and other acts.

I believe they are very beautiful. I have one on my wall, of the Holy Trinity. I do not go kissing it, but when I say my prayers to the Trinity, I regard it reverently and bow. It enhances my Catholic Imagination and brings my act of worship more fully to my moment.

I have Icons of Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael over each of the upstairs bedroom doors. They are beautiful. I have looked at others to add to my home. Some of the nicest are available in quality Catholic bookstores - cuz icons are a wonderful form of Catholic art.

MrShttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

I think that there needs to be a major correction. while Roman Catholics, as a whole, have not had the blessings of being overly exposed to icons, ROMAN CATHOLICS in the East have had them for centuries. It is wrong to merely state that they have only been venerated by the EO and E-Rite Catholics. Roman Catholics in Poland – Our Lady of Czestochowa – and Lithuania – the Lichen Virgin – have venerate icons for much of their Catholic history. Let us keep history and the record straight. I suppose that I am overly sensitive to such talk because of my Polish ancestry and my devotion to the Blessed Mother of Czestochowa.

40.png
frdave20:
I think that there needs to be a major correction. while Roman Catholics, as a whole, have not had the blessings of being overly exposed to icons, ROMAN CATHOLICS in the East have had them for centuries. It is wrong to merely state that they have only been venerated by the EO and E-Rite Catholics. Roman Catholics in Poland – Our Lady of Czestochowa – and Lithuania – the Lichen Virgin – have venerate icons for much of their Catholic history. Let us keep history and the record straight. I suppose that I am overly sensitive to such talk because of my Polish ancestry and my devotion to the Blessed Mother of Czestochowa.
Thank you for teaching something. Let us also know that a great lot of Roman Catholics of the Latin Rite would not necessarily know this, and our not knowing it would not be to offend someone who does know it. 😉

Thanks for the responses – very helpful. And thanks for the correction, frdave20. I didn’t know that icons played a large of a role for Roman Catholics as well.

Philip

May I add something here. There is much more history to Icons that what you are seeing. I have included much of it below. But Icons are not a work of art, they are written, as in writing a book.They tell a story, they teach a lesson, and they must always be Bibilicly correct. Everything in an icon has a purpose, the colors, the buildings, the covered hands, just everything you see, tells one something. We believe they are windows to heaven. As we gaze upon them, heaven gazes back at us. One cannot write an icon without permission of the bishop and it cannot be done without fasting and prayer. They are not just works of art…

The reason we still have icons, the first written by St. Luke, is during the Iconoclastic period, this statement was made: Because we have seen Jesus we have seen the Father.

I borrowed this information from a site and forgot to get the addy, sorry. It was easier than typing it all, it follows…
A brief explanation is necessary about Byzantine iconoclasm and the seventh ecumenical council (787) which condemned it. It has already been observed that Byzantine religious art is among the empire’s most enduring legacies. An iconoclast victory would almost certainly have altered the course of Byzantine painting. Iconoclasm, in general, is usually viewed apart from the christological debates with which the earlier ecumenical councils were concerned. Be that as it may, the iconoclastic issue was ultimately christological. To illustrate this point we need to begin with the fundamental iconoclast argument of idolatry. How could the divinity of Christ - argued the iconoclast - be depicted or represented without falling into idolatry? Plainly put, veneration of the Lord’s icon was nothing else than idolatrous worship of inanimate wood and paint. And that certainly was expressly forbidden by Scripture to the Christian. This seemingly cogent argument, however, did not convince the Church or the Fathers of the seventh council.

An icon, it is true, is made of wood and paint, but it is only a symbol. Further, it is neither an object of absolute veneration nor of worship. On the contrary, icons are only relatively venerated, for the true object of veneration is ultimately the person depicted in the icon, not the image itself. Moreover, a clear distinction is to be drawn between veneration (proskynesis), with which the icons should be honored, and worship (latreia), which belongs to God alone. In sum, it was altogether unlawful to worship icons, for God alone is worshipped and adored; they could and should, however, be venerated. This insistence that icons should be honored brings us to the Church’s second crucial argument - the christological. This argument maintains that a pictorial representation of the Lord or of the saints is entirely permissible and, in fact, necessary because of the incarnation. That is to say, the son of God can be depicted pictorially precisely because he became visible and describable by taking on our flesh and becoming man. Any repudiation of the Lord’s icon is tantamount to a denial of the incarnation. Fittingly enough, the defeat of iconoclasm is celebrated annually by the Orthodox Church on the first Sunday of Lent. This “Feast of Orthodoxy” commemorates the final restoration of images

The Seventh Eccumenical Council…this is when the Anathamas were set in place.
members.aol.com/theclarion/creeds_confessions/seven_councils.html#7

Here is some more detailed information on the Iconoclastic Period
greece.org/Romiosini/iconoclastic.html

Hope this helps

Pani Rose

Icons in the Western Church are becomming more and more common; among lay folk as well as in Churches. They found something “new” and want to exploit it. I have seen them in Episcipalion Churches too.

I have a whole wall of icons in my room, from various places and styles. Some are made by the Orthodox. One I treasure is wood with a silver “risa” (a covering, holes for the face and hands) of the Theotokos with the child Jesus. I got it in Florence and later blessed by our Holy Father.

Our parish priest is a rather unique individual. He started out, I believe, as a Methodist, then a Lutheran, then an Episcopalian. He became an Episcopalian priest, and when he converted to Catholicism, it was as an Eastern Rite priest. He is now a married Latin Rite (Roman) Catholic priest. He is very humble, deeply spiritual and quite orthodox.

Anyway, he brought his love of icons and Eastern Catholic spirituality with him. As a result, our church is dominated by large beautiful icons done in traditional style, two permanent ones of the baptism of Jesus and the Transfiguration on each side of the altar. The largest icon (about 30 X 10 ft) is in the middle (over the tabernacle) and changes depending on the feast day (this sunday it was one that depicted Our Lady of Mt. Carmel). We have other large icons painted on walls at various locations around the church. We have, I would guess, about a dozen different ones, all beautiful.

We also have a lot of statuary and western style art. We just got a gorgeous statue of St. Joseph that we ordered special from Mexico that will go at the front of the Church (off to the side of the sanctuary) to complement Our Lady of Grace (on the other side).

If you’re ever in Gilbert, AZ, stop by and visit us at St. Anne’s

I have to agree with Pani Rose that an icon is not art. It is written and not drawn. There is much symbolism in icons. One of the bigger things is color. Christ inner garment is red symbolizing His divine nature and His outer garment is blue symbolizing His human nature. While the Mother of God Her inner garment is blue symbolizing that Her human nature was first then She was given a divine nature with her Red cloak. Icons have another role also. They teach. It was a way to teach the less eduacated people about the bible,Christ,and the saints. Veneration of an icon is not praying to the wood and paint but to the person depicted there. Bowing, kissing, praying at an icon is to keep us focused to whom we are praying to. We bow before Christ. We kiss Christ showing our love for Him. Touching your forehead to the icon means that we take our most greatest item that we have, our intellect, and we make it lower than Christ. As to purchasing an icon from the Orthodox or Eastern Catholic stores one or the other has no more meaning than the other,they are equal in spiritual value. If you display a crucifix you are telling the world who you are and what you believe in, the same goes for icons. There are mass produce icons and handmade ones. I personaly would rather have a handmade one but if you only can get the mass produced one that would be good to. Having an icon blessed and sealed is also recommened. I also suggest that you learn as much as can about the icon, the meaning of the colors,why are the facial features for lack of a better term deformed a bit, why is the icon two dimesional rather than three dimensional. This will help you in your appreciaton of it and you can then teach others about it. Last but not least thankyou for looking into the Eastern Catholic/Othrodox churches for ways to help yourself in your own spiritual journey.

Glory be to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

I am very glad to see the renewed interest in sacred icons within Roman (Latin Rite) Catholicism. I have several in my home, and I have begun praying the Liturgy of the Hours in front of the icons of Our Lord and the Theotokos. I also have an icon of the Mystical Supper in our dining room, and icons in my children’s bedroom (Guardian Angel, St. Michael, the Infant Jesus sleeping, and the Crucifixion).

We in the West need to rediscover the beauty and spirituality of the Christian East. It’s time to start breathing with BOTH lungs!

40.png
Cherub:
You are right to suppose Icons are more in the Eastern traditions. In the Greek and Russian Orthodox Church, they are venerated with kisses and other acts.

I believe they are very beautiful. I have one on my wall, of the Holy Trinity. I do not go kissing it, but when I say my prayers to the Trinity, I regard it reverently and bow. It enhances my Catholic Imagination and brings my act of worship more fully to my moment.
When entering an Eastern Catholic Church you kiss the icons. This is a ‘greeting’ of the Holy Ones in Heaven. My Pastor explains it as if you are entering a home of a friend and you hug, shake their hand, or kiss them. SInce we cannot actually physically ‘kiss’ a Saint, you at least kiss the icon to give them reverance to entering the holy place of the church/temple.
We have two large icons near the iconscreen placed on two separate icon stands, one of Christ the Teacher and one of the Blessed Virgin Mary-Theotokos. We kiss these two icons too our of love and reverance for them.
I am sure you would kiss a picture/photo of someone you hold dear. It’s NO different with an icon.

go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back