If a nun has Turner Syndrome

• Thread starter Thread starter whichwaytogo47
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whichwaytogo47

My wife has a question: could a female nun with Turner Syndrome take hormonal treatment in order to not have early onset menopause (age 20) or is this prohibited by the church? Also, are there alternative ways to get hormone treatment so as to minimize the risk of osteoporosis but not use birth control?

This is a theological question; it’s not meant as a medical quetion.

Last edited:
My wife has a question: could a female nun with Turner Syndrome take hormonal treatment in order to not have early onset menopause (age 20) or is this prohibited by the church? Also, are there alternative ways to get hormone treatment so as to minimize the risk of osteoporosis?
This is a legitimate medical treatment and I can’t see how in the world this could conflict with a religious vocation. I can imagine, though, that some convents might have an issue with taking in someone with any sort of disability, insurance and health care issues and so on. I humbly submit that they need to consider that Almighty God might call a disabled person to the religious life, and that it was His Will for that person to turn up on their doorstep and seek to follow their vocation in their convent, and not some other one.

A look at the life of St Margaret of Castello is a good thing here.

I am not terribly familiar with Turner Syndrome, but the Church teaches that it is morally fine to treat medical conditions even if it causes sterility. The sterility is not the intention, it’s accidental to the medical treatment.

Note that the point is a medical condition is being directly treated. If the treatment is only “don’t get pregnant” then the use of drugs is not morally fine.

For specifics, the National Catholic Bioethics Center is very helpful. They have a web page with many resources already available and you can even submit your questions for a response.

Last edited:
birth control medications are allowed for legitimate medical treatment. the point here would be the medial treatment and not preventing conception so it would be fine.

I think I might do that. That’s a huge help!!!

Thanks for everyone’s postings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back