If Catholic influence grows, how might American culture change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christphr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pope is a monarch. One of his official titles is Monarch of the Vatican City State. A monarch doesn’t have to come from a dynastic line. The Holy Roman Emperors were elected.
 
I forgot about the HRE. I guess that means there are two monarchs I would bow to.
 
I sometimes note certain Puritan tendencies in regards to things like alcohol that you don’t find in other Catholic cultures. Politically there’s a tendency to support certain right wing positions such as a skepticism of social programs, the death penalty, or anti-gun Control that you don’t necessarily find in the rest of the Catholic world. Catholicism is always anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage, but Catholicism doesn’t necessarily equate the Republican Party as it sometimes almost comes across in these parts.
 
  1. I’ve never heard of any Catholic attack alcohol outside of the addictions which it causes.
  2. To be honest I thought that most Catholics were right of center.
  3. We are skeptical of social programs because we know that the private sector and specifically the Church can do it better. We care for the poor but we largely don’t see it as the government’s job.
  4. I absolutely hate the death penalty and I don’t support it. Unfortunately some Catholics don’t care or think that because the criminals committed a crime that they lose their dignity.
  5. I never knew that the Church was against the second amendment. We view the second amendment as paramount to our free society and its defense. Remember “abusus non tollit usum” (I forget which saint said that)
  6. No rational Catholic will tell you that the Republican Party perfectly represents our opinions and beliefs, but because the country is a two party democracy we have no choice but to vote for them. They are way better than the Democratic Party of today. I think that reforming the Republican Party into a more Catholic party would be easier than the Democratic Party.
Very interesting to hear these things. Thanks for the new perspective.
 
I didn’t say that the Church is necessarily “left of centre”, to use US political language, on these issues - just that faithful Catholics outside of the often have different attitudes. As do the US bishops in many cases. Take gun control - the Church herself would be neutral. This is a matter of prudential judgment. The USCCB happens to be pro-gun Control.
 
Neither did I claim that they were. By the way, where are you from? Because I’m very intrigued by this perspective.
 
If Catholic influence grows, how might American culture change?
That would depend on how it happened.

If it’s via mass migration, we’ll probably turn into a secular state with a Catholic majority (also given that Hispanics often apostatize to Protestantism when they get here that may not be the case).

I don’t see any other plausible means by which Catholic influence would increase.
 
I didn’t say that the Church is necessarily “left of centre”, to use US political language, on these issues - just that faithful Catholics outside of the often have different attitudes. As do the US bishops in many cases. Take gun control - the Church herself would be neutral. This is a matter of prudential judgment. The USCCB happens to be pro-gun Control.
Yeah, but what the USCCB considers good gun control isn’t really the same thing as the left.

The Bishops & Church understand the right of parents to protect their family from criminals, invaders, etc.

The far left though would rather leave the state to protect families.

Most Catholics in the right accept common sense gun control, but most people on the right do not trust the left
 
I’m all in favor of common sense gun control. But what I consider common sense is viewed as reckless by the left.
 
For many years, the USCCB was represented by the same law firm as the Democratic National Committee.
 
The country would move Left, in the sense there would be much less acceptance of massive wealth. I could imagine an income tax of 100% after the first million dollars.

Distributism would mean breaking up the large corporations, and having workers own the factory they work for; although self employment would be encouraged as an even better alternative, where possible. Small businesses would flourish. No death penalty.

But it would be more conservative in other ways. Education would be either home schooling, or vouchers. The government would have very limited direct role in schooling. End to abortion, and euthanasia. Divorce somewhat more difficult (though there is better understanding now of domestic violence). Hollywood and most of TV would return to the standards of 1934 - 1964, or so.
 
I’d be completely ok with this despite being somewhat well off.
 
I mean I don’t think it will grow. Our faith will always be contrary to the norm. I think the path to heaven is narrow. They hated Christ and they will hate us. I don’t think we should look forward to be living in a bubble where living the faith would be easy. Our life in Christ will always be hard.
 
No death penalty, no euthanasia, no abortions, better healthcare, better schools in low income areas…
The fiery debates would move onto liturgical forms and types of Mass if CAF is any indication of things…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top