If the Peter is the shepherb, then why the other Apostles are not Shepherbs too and their succersors?

• Thread starter Thread starter shliahgaossimyacob27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shliahgaossimyacob27

He saith to him again: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep. Amen, amen I say to thee, when thou wast younger, thou didst gird thyself, and didst walk where thou wouldst. But when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and lead thee whither thou wouldst not.
St John 21:16‭-‬18 DRC1752

What makes you think they are not…Jesus commissioned the 12, not just Peter, and commanded at his ascension that all his followers continue his earthly ministry by going forth and teach all nations and baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit…so all the apostles were shepherds, bishops are shepherds, all pastors and priests are shepherds, and each of us as disciples of Christ, whether members of the laity, or recipients of the Sacrament of Holy Orders are shepherds.

Jesus addressed these words to Peter alone, not to all the Eleven. But that doesn’t mean that Peter is the only shepherd. You will recall Jesus’ words about himself as the “good shepherd”:

The twelve have appropriate places.

Matthew 19
27 Then Peter answering, said to him: Behold we have left all things, and have followed thee: what therefore shall we have? 28 And Jesus said to them: Amen, I say to you, that you, who have followed me, in the regeneration, when the Son of man shall sit on the seat of his majesty, you also shall sit on twelve seats judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

He saith to him again: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep. Amen, amen I say to thee, when thou wast younger, thou didst gird thyself, and didst walk where thou wouldst. But when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and lead thee whither thou wouldst not.
St John 21:16‭-‬18 DRC1752
Where are you getting that from? Listen to what Peter himself says.

“So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you;b not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory” (1 Peter 5:1-4).

Peter exhorts the priests of his audience to “shepherd the flock” or “be shepherds of the flock” and he connects this to Jesus’ office as the Chief Shepherd. In a manner of saying, his shepherd-ness and those of the elders are an exercise of the shepherd-ness of Christ himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back