If you purchase an already blessed object, does it lose it's blessing?

• Thread starter Thread starter TAEllsworth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TAEllsworth

A friend of mine gave me a Rosary blessed by the Pope. As I was telling another friend of mine about it, she said that if the rosary was purchased after it was blessed, I would need to get it blessed again. Is this true? Where would I find that documented?

It turns out that the Rosary was purchased, then blessed, then GIVEN to my friend, who then GAVE it to me. But I heard you can purchase blessed rosaries and other religious objects online. How would that work if they “lose” their blessing?

Dear friend

No it does not lose it’s blessing. Once blessed it is always blessed. You can go online to the Vatican site and directly purchase from that site items already blessed by the Pope. If the person then chooses to gift that blessed item they buy the blessing still goes with it.

It will never lose it’s blessing, but what is not advised is to make profit from a blessed item, thereby buying items that are blessed and then re-selling them at a greater cost, that dear friend is unscrupulous and deceitful.

We are instructed to bury blessed items that have broken, this is not to protect the item but the blessing it bears, so that no wrong or evil use can be brought to defile that blessing. It is best to bury all religious items as we are not always be sure if they carry a blessing and are indeed sacramentals (sacred items)

Once in possession of a blessed item you have the responsibility to treat it with due reverance and justly, not to abuse it in any way nor use it as an item to make money from. We are held responsible for it’s safety and therefore exercise prudence to whom we give it to should we desire to pass it on.

Your religious item is blessed and will always remain so, it is a sacred item, so enjoy!!!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Springbreeze (I love that name!) is correct of course.

I would just like to add that there is no reason not to bless an object again. So if you are moved to ask for a blessing from a priest at any time, don’t be bashful, just ask.

And while you’re at it ask for a blessing for yourself!

Remember, you are called to be a blessing to the world around you. Today your rosary, tomorrow the world! 😉

+T+
MIchael

An object wouldn’t lose a blessing, but isn’t it forbidden to sell blessed objects? They can be given, but so far as I know never sold.

Yours,
Jessica

40.png
BecomeLowly:
… isn’t it forbidden to sell blessed objects?
Apparently not if the Vatican is selling items blessed by the Pope.

Hello Sir Knight,

From what I understood of the post the rosary was purchased before it was blessed.

From the original post:
“It turns out that the Rosary was purchased, then blessed, then GIVEN to my friend, who then GAVE it to me.”

Yours,
Jessica

My understanding has always been that if you sell an item for a profit, it will not retain a blessing/indulgence. It may be possible to sell it for cost of materials (the chain, the beads, etc), I don’t know.

If you give a blessed rosary away, or if you fix a broken blessed rosary, the blessing stays.

If you destroy the object, the blessing is gone. Does anyone know for absolutely sure with some reference? I’m just going on what I was taught years ago.

40.png
BecomeLowly:
Hello Sir Knight,

From what I understood of the post the rosary was purchased before it was blessed.
I was making reference to what springbreeze said about the Vatican selling items already blessed by the Pope.

Speaking of which, I’d be interested in obtaining some items blessed by the Pope. Does anyone have a link to that site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back