Ignatius or Navarre Study Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pilgrim1701
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pilgrim1701

Guest
Which would you recommned. The Ignatius Study or the The Navarre.
I think both are RSV so its the notes and scholarship I’m comparing.
Not just one better than the other, but critical review would be helpful. Might end up getting both, lol.
Or is it possible to get the notes in a separate book from a bible, as I already have about 5 different ones.
 
I have both. It’s nice to compare them and contrast them.

God bless.
 
Both are good, Navarre uses the RSV-CE and Ignatius uses the RSV-2CE. My preference is the Ignatius by a little bit.
 
The real DISGRACE is that the RSV in all its iterations is a PROTESTANT translation. It’s textual choices are made through the lenses of Protestantism and not through the lenses of what the Catholic church has taught for the last 2,000 years.

The Catholic Church wrote the bible–decided what books would be in the bible–and now puts out translations SO BAD that Catholics resort to study versions of the RSV.

Something is wrong with that picture!

Whatever you do don’t study the bible’s text through the “magisterium” of Protestant “scholarship” and their erroneus textual choices.
 
I am not voting because I think they are both wonderful and I strongly recommend getting both.

The translations between the RSV-CE and the RSV-2-CE are so close that the only time you notice a difference is when God is speaking or when someone is praying to God. Other than that, I doubt you will notice anything.

Regarding the commentary, I feel that the Ignatius spends a bit more time on the literal sense of the scripture and looking at scripture in historical context then the Navarre does. I also feel that the Navarre spends a bit more time on the spiritual sense then the Ignatius does. That being said, the Navarre does talk about historical context an the literal sense, and the Ignatius does talk about spirituality, they just differ in the weight they give to each of those things.

Keep in mind also that I am talking about the Navarre series, rather than either of the single volume texts.
 
I started out with the Navarre series and like it a lot. I like that it is an in depth commentary for non professionals. I also like that it references the CCC, early church fathers magisterial documents etc.
I also like the Ignatius very much. It mostly does the same thing but in a more compact version and less in depth commentary. Both have excellent references.
I like both but the edge would have to go to the Navarre.
 
The real DISGRACE is that the RSV in all its iterations is a PROTESTANT translation. It’s textual choices are made through the lenses of Protestantism and not through the lenses of what the Catholic church has taught for the last 2,000 years.

The Catholic Church wrote the bible–decided what books would be in the bible–and now puts out translations SO BAD that Catholics resort to study versions of the RSV.

Something is wrong with that picture!

Whatever you do don’t study the bible’s text through the “magisterium” of Protestant “scholarship” and their erroneus textual choices.
Thats interesting Jerry-Jet. It just seemed to me that the RSV had some currency among Catholics, even more traditional ones. I’ve seen quotations of scripture in the popes books come from the RSV. (Maybe this is a choice/copyright issue for the publisher:shrug:?)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top