Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises question

• Thread starter Thread starter pacersFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pacersFan

I’ve got a question about part of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. I have been reading the part that regards the First Method of Prayer (238- 248). I understand how to evaluate my life against the 10 commandments and the 7 capital sins (and their corresponding virtues), but I am a bit lost with the sections on the 3 powers of the soul and the 5 senses of the body. Can anyone point me to an explanation of what I should be contemplating for these final two portions of the First Method of Prayer?

Thanks in advance.

III. On the Powers of the Soul

Way
. On the three powers of the soul let the same order and rule be kept as on the Commandments, making its Addition, Preparatory Prayer and Colloquy. IV. On the Bodily Senses

Way
. About the five bodily senses the same order always will be kept, but changing their matter.

Note. Whoever wants to imitate Christ our Lord in the use of his senses, let him in the Preparatory Prayer recommend himself to His Divine Majesty, and after considering on each sense, say a HAIL MARY or an OUR FATHER.

Some help follows on 3 powers of the soul-And whoever wants to imitate Our Lady in the use of the senses, let him in the Preparatory Prayer recommend himself to her, that she may get him grace from Her Son and Lord for it; and after considering on each sense, say a HAIL MARY.

ccel.org/i/ignatius/exercises/exercises.html
On the 3 powers of the soul.
faculties of the soul

(Latin: facere, to do)

Qualities by which the human soul is able to act, or proximate principles of human activity, the remote principle being the soul itself, the faculties being the imagination, memory, understanding, will. Hence the order is soul, one or other faculty, act. All human acts are ultimately attributed to the person, the ego. Some moderns, considering faculties as a “bundle of detached powers”, independent autonomous entities existing apart from the soul and shattering its unity, have denied their existence. Faculties of the soul are merely qualities or properties, modes through which the soul acts. Faculties explain well the changes of consciousness, the essentially different kinds of consciousness, and the variations in capacities or powers, all proceeding from the same soul.

On the 5 senses-

1. *]Any of the faculties by which stimuli from outside or inside the body are received and felt, as the faculties of hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste, and equilibrium.

I would meditate on these pwers and senses following the same system as the commandments, 7 deadly sins examination of conscience. I think that’s right. Someone correct me if wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back