Ignatius Study Bible NT DELAYED AGAIN!

  • Thread starter Thread starter vladimir998
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vladimir998

Guest
Once again Ignatius has pushed back the release of the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament. The book’s latest release date has changed from April to June, 2010.

I know Ignatius publishes a number of fine Catholic books, but I have to say that I am stunned by the poor handling of what could easily be the most important book they’ve ever published.

Unlike the publishers of the Orthodox Study Bible, Ignatius has no specially dedicated website where interested people can follow the development of the Bible and even see sample pages.

Unlike the publishers of the ESV Study Bible, Ignatius will not be innovative or thoughtful enough to produce a video highlighting and explaining the best assets of their study Bible.

After twelve years of releasing fascicles, and two or three pushed back release dates for the whole NT, I thought Ignatius had finally gotten its act together. I was wrong. I wonder if I’ll even live long enough to see the release of the Old Testament!!!

Catholic companies can’t just publish good, orthodox books and expect to flourish. They have to actually treat their customers as if they matter. And sorry, I’m just not feelin’ the love right now from Ignatius. I also can’t find any explanation for the delay at the Ignatius website. I guess it doesn’t matter to them. Honestly, it’s as if the company were run by complete amateurs.
 
Once again Ignatius has pushed back the release of the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament. The book’s latest release date has changed from April to June, 2010.

I know Ignatius publishes a number of fine Catholic books, but I have to say that I am stunned by the poor handling of what could easily be the most important book they’ve ever published.

Unlike the publishers of the Orthodox Study Bible, Ignatius has no specially dedicated website where interested people can follow the development of the Bible and even see sample pages.

Unlike the publishers of the ESV Study Bible, Ignatius will not be innovative or thoughtful enough to produce a video highlighting and explaining the best assets of their study Bible.

After twelve years of releasing fascicles, and two or three pushed back release dates for the whole NT, I thought Ignatius had finally gotten its act together. I was wrong. I wonder if I’ll even live long enough to see the release of the Old Testament!!!

Catholic companies can’t just publish good, orthodox books and expect to flourish. They have to actually treat their customers as if they matter. And sorry, I’m just not feelin’ the love right now from Ignatius. I also can’t find any explanation for the delay at the Ignatius website. I guess it doesn’t matter to them. Honestly, it’s as if the company were run by complete amateurs.
Vladimir,

I share many of the same frustrations as you! Where did you hear the info about the date being pushed back?
 
Once again Ignatius has pushed back the release of the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament. The book’s latest release date has changed from April to June, 2010.

I know Ignatius publishes a number of fine Catholic books, but I have to say that I am stunned by the poor handling of what could easily be the most important book they’ve ever published.

Unlike the publishers of the Orthodox Study Bible, Ignatius has no specially dedicated website where interested people can follow the development of the Bible and even see sample pages.

Unlike the publishers of the ESV Study Bible, Ignatius will not be innovative or thoughtful enough to produce a video highlighting and explaining the best assets of their study Bible.

After twelve years of releasing fascicles, and two or three pushed back release dates for the whole NT, I thought Ignatius had finally gotten its act together. I was wrong. I wonder if I’ll even live long enough to see the release of the Old Testament!!!

Catholic companies can’t just publish good, orthodox books and expect to flourish. They have to actually treat their customers as if they matter. And sorry, I’m just not feelin’ the love right now from Ignatius. I also can’t find any explanation for the delay at the Ignatius website. I guess it doesn’t matter to them. Honestly, it’s as if the company were run by complete amateurs.
Go easy on them…lots of things can hold up the publishing of a book…and not all are within the control of the company…there are a number of outside factors involved.

this happens in the publishing world! not just in this case 😉

and with the economy…publishers are having to cut back in even coming out with new books…etc
 
well my first thought would be the publisher wants to make sure of the accuracy of the content and the quality of the product, that his printer or other suppliers have unavoidable delays because of market or other mfg conditions. I would not leap to the conclusion that the publisher is intent on torturning its customers. disappointment certainly but not anger, would be my first reaction
 
well my first thought would be the publisher wants to make sure of the accuracy of the content and the quality of the product, that his printer or other suppliers have unavoidable delays because of market or other mfg conditions. I would not leap to the conclusion that the publisher is intent on torturning its customers. disappointment certainly but not anger, would be my first reaction
Absolutely, there are always things that come up that can cause a temporary delay in printing. Like you said, its better to delay to make sure the content is accurate.

However, my question remains why is this taking so long? If June is the publication date, it will have taken about 10 years to complete the New Testament. So, should we expect to wait until 2020 for the complete Ignatius Study Bible (with OT and NT)?

Of course, one would not have to ask these questions if the fine people at Ignatius Press would provide some periodic updates about the Ignatius Study Bible project, like many other major study Bibles have done.

As Vladimir pointed out, the ESV Study Bible, and I will add the NLT Study Bible, are both innovative in their study Bible design, but also in how they market and update the public about their product.
 
I would also like to point out that many (not all) bibles and study resources published under Protestant auspices are published by imprints that are owned by large mainstream publishers, and have all their marketing, printing, technological and distribution resources available. Ignatius, like many Catholic imprints, is an independent. Like all publishers, they are also dependent on their writers, editors and contributors who are notoriously late with deadlines.
 
Vladimir,

I share many of the same frustrations as you! Where did you hear the info about the date being pushed back?
The June date is on Ignatius’ website.I agree that ten years is a long time to get a project, but as already mentioned, delays in a final release date of a book is very common, almost expected.
 
Maybe instead of grumbling and complaining, we should be thankful that it’s coming out at all. Remember Meribah and Massah!
 
After many years in aerospace I have learned that if you can get the slippage down to day for day [that is that the target date is no longer getting further away] you are in pretty good shape. 😃
 
Maybe instead of grumbling and complaining, we should be thankful that it’s coming out at all. Remember Meribah and Massah!
True! But let’s remember that the Hebrews were in the desert 40 years. Let’s hope the complete Ignatius Study Bible won’t take half that long! 😉
 
I really want this Study Bible so bad. I have a hard time looking for good comentary and this looks like it will do the trick. And my goodness it will be all in one book!! For under thirty bucks!

God Bless
 
Will be praying for you as you answer the call. Will you also pray for my son. He too has been called. He is just entering the teen years and has been focused on the priesthood since 2nd grade. I ask God to grace him with retaining his purity and conquring his temper. I feel strongly that he has the cross of his temperment so that he can someday be able to work with and relate to young men.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top