Illness and obligation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFreedom

New member
I spent most of the last week laid up in bed due to a combination of viruses, started to feel better, then things took a turn for the worse Friday night and by Saturday morning I was so bad, I checked myself into the emergency room and was there most of the day. I was released and told not to go into work on Monday (I had missed work most of the week prior anyways). I got up Sunday to try go to church and realized that I felt like absolute crud. I wanted to go so badly because I know I won’t be able to take communion (especially since it is Easter Sunday coming up) until I confess missing mass, even though I was too ill to go.
  1. Was my missing mass a mortal sin or simply venial because of the illness?
  2. If it was venial (or a sin at all) can I still take communion Easter Sunday (since it is Holy Week, there are no confessions)
 
I spent most of the last week laid up in bed due to a combination of viruses, started to feel better, then things took a turn for the worse Friday night and by Saturday morning I was so bad, I checked myself into the emergency room and was there most of the day. I was released and told not to go into work on Monday (I had missed work most of the week prior anyways). I got up Sunday to try go to church and realized that I felt like absolute crud. I wanted to go so badly because I know I won’t be able to take communion (especially since it is Easter Sunday coming up) until I confess missing mass, even though I was too ill to go.
  1. Was my missing mass a mortal sin or simply venial because of the illness?
  2. If it was venial (or a sin at all) can I still take communion Easter Sunday (since it is Holy Week, there are no confessions)
This was not a sin at all. You are absolutely not obliged to go to mass on Sunday if you are ill. Nothing personal, but I don’t want your germs anywhere near me. So as an act of charity, we are to keep our sick selves away from mass. Rest and get well. 👍

From The Catechism:
**2181 ** The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor…
God bless you this Holy Week! Sounds like you have a lot to unite with our Lord’s suffering. And hoping you get well soon, dear one. :hug1:

Gertie
 
As others have indicated, you do NOT need to confess missing Mass in order to receive Communion, if you missed Mass because you were sick.

–Jen
 
I spent most of the last week laid up in bed due to a combination of viruses, started to feel better, then things took a turn for the worse Friday night and by Saturday morning I was so bad, I checked myself into the emergency room and was there most of the day. I was released and told not to go into work on Monday (I had missed work most of the week prior anyways). I got up Sunday to try go to church and realized that I felt like absolute crud. I wanted to go so badly because I know I won’t be able to take communion (especially since it is Easter Sunday coming up) until I confess missing mass, even though I was too ill to go.
  1. Was my missing mass a mortal sin or simply venial because of the illness?
  2. If it was venial (or a sin at all) can I still take communion Easter Sunday (since it is Holy Week, there are no confessions)
This is not even remotely close to a venial sin let alone a mortal sin. You are not obligated to go to mass when your ill. Even if “under the weather” please leave your infectious self at home!

I suggest you read the catechism regarding this.

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top