Im a Catholic but dont REALLY believe in Jesus

  • Thread starter Thread starter ladybug25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s more a case of the original poster still being new, and perhaps “rushing fences” on becoming Catholic before being totally ready.

But now that the OP is Catholic, this is also a good time to grow more firm and mature in the faith. We don’t expect kids to know and believe everything right away, and a new Catholic is in some ways a “baby Catholic.”

If you keep going to Mass and Confession and you keep praying, the Holy Spirit will help you receive the gift of faith more fully. That’s true for every Catholic, no matter how strong your faith. We all have to keep growing towards God.
 
ladybug25. You mentioned:
I try to be good, I go to church, ive been praying rosary daily for half a year now.
OK. You’re not far from the kingdom, although it sounds like you think you are.

You also said:
i dont REALLY believe in Jesus.
A “pep talk” isn’t going to be able to give you belief in this realm and the certainty you seek and should have.

Might I suggest several things?

Keep going to Mass (I assume that’s what you mean when you say: “I go to church” as you labeled yourself a “Catholic”).

Don’t be offended at what I am going to suggest here:
But when you go to Mass, DON’T go to Holy Communion . . . UNTIL . . . . you firmly believe in Jesus and in His real presence in the Eucharist. I can’t explain it to you now (as this takes grace too).

Just keep going to Mass.

Go to a Eucharistic Adoration chapel and just sit there looking at the Host and talk to God. Tell God all of your doubts and difficulties and ask God to show you what is and isn’t true.

Keep a picture of Mother Mary with you or if the Adoration Chapel in your area (“Europe” is all you said) has a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary there, all the better. Ask the Blessed Mother to help you too.

And when you pray the Rosary, try to think about the mystery that you are praying. If you are praying “The Annunciation” think of the Blessed Mother being approached by the Archangel Gabriel, etc.

And one other suggestion. We all have sins. Go to Confession. Try to go often. Tell the Priest of your struggles and how you want to overcome them in the sphere of what is true and what is not true. Try to go every week or two.

And lastly, please pray for me sometime when you are praying one of your Rosary’s.

God bless.

Cathoholic
  • Mass
  • Communion ONLY when you believe in Jesus as God and in the Eucharist
  • Adoration
  • Confession
  • Help from Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Pray for Cathoholic (please)
 
Actually this is what i felt as well- that i cant go to Communion. I just sat there and prayed that Jesus enters my heart if he wants to but I dont feel ready to accept Communion right now.
Of course I will pray for you, cathoholic.
 
You’re “calling out” Techno for posting a picture with a link so that you could learn more about the photo?

That’s somehow a violation of forum rules or protocol?

:nope:
Randy,
Searched the whole thread and I can’t see how your response makes any sense.
Can’t find it.
 
Not going to click it.
Tell me about it in your own words or don’t dump it here.
Sorry, you did nothing to rise to the level of outrage.
You have posted a pic without commentary and claimed I am outraged for calling you out on that.
You’re “calling out” Techno for posting a picture with a link so that you could learn more about the photo?

That’s somehow a violation of forum rules or protocol?

:nope:
Randy,
Searched the whole thread and I can’t see how your response makes any sense.
Can’t find it.
Hope this helps.

:tiphat:
 
is this a joke? im sorry but this is soooo photoshoped
Which one? Our Lady of Zeitoun was witnessed by hundreds of thousands and approved by the local Cardinal as well as by Pope Paul VI. There’s even video evidence of it, which for some reason I can no longer find online.
 
Which one? Our Lady of Zeitoun was witnessed by hundreds of thousands and approved by the local Cardinal as well as by Pope Paul VI. There’s even video evidence of it, which for some reason I can no longer find online.
Zeitoun? It’s available on the DVD or VHS entitled "Marian Apparitions of the 20th Century.
I got a copy off of Amazon. Footage and credible witnesses.
 
I try to live as if I was a christian. I try to be good, I go to church, ive been praying rosary daily for half a year now.
When you struggle with faith, I think the best thing to do is to live as a Christian as best you can while praying and asking for faith. It sounds like you’re doing at least some that. Perform the corporal works of mercy, help those in need, go to Mass, and pray.

Faith may not come as naturally to you as it does for others, so just keep living the Christian Gospel and do what you can to improve your faith.
 
Zeitoun? It’s available on the DVD or VHS entitled "Marian Apparitions of the 20th Century.
I got a copy off of Amazon. Footage and credible witnesses.
I did a project on it way back in 9th grade Religion. I know I’ve seen videos of the apparitions occurring online though they seem hard to find now. Pictures not so much.
 
Thank you for this, I hadn’t heard of it before! I always question pics of “supernatural” activity, because due to the nature of cameras/ film/photography, there’s usually a logical explanation, as with the famous “door to heaven” that was later found to be merely a trick with the aperture present in all Polaroid cameras.

However, this apparition has been approved. There are plenty of videos on YouTube. From the marypages website:

Our Lady appeared in Zeitoun hovering above Saint Mark’s Coptic Church, a shrine dedicated to the Holy family, which according to tradition rested in that place during their stay in Egypt. The apparitions, ( hundreds in number ) took place at night, and Our Lady was always surrounded by light.

At 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday 2 April 1968, an hour and a half after sunset, the mechanics and drivers of the garage were all alarmed by some disturbance in the street. The workmen ran to the street. They saw a young lady dressed in white on the church dome. They saw her walking on the dome. They thought that she was about to throw herself down. So they cried: “Be careful. Take care, you may fall down, wait.” As the dome is curved, no human being can walk on it. Then some of the pedestrians who stood to watch the scene cried “Virgin Mary, Virgin Mary.” As the garage workmen who were watching the apparition were all Moslems, they looked on keenly and they all became extremely astonished. The lady who appeared in a luminous body, moved on the dome and bowed and knelt before the cross…! The Traffic in Tumanbay Street was stopped and a big crowd of people stood to watch the apparition. The workmen of the garage who were on duty at that particular time all gave reports that ascertained and confirmed their witness as they all gave the same particulars. As did Father Costantin, the priest of the church. The first man who saw her, Muslim, Farouk Mohammed Atwa, was undergoing treatment for a case of gangrene. The following day when he went to hospital for a scheduled amputation of his forefinger, he was certified completely healed.

Thus began three years of almost nightly visits by Mary, visits heralded by extraordinary lights and immense clouds of incense. She was seen sometimes vaguely, often quite clearly, smiling, bowing, waving an olive branch, blessing, praying deeply, holding fast or kneeling before the cross of Her Son. These apparitions, often lasting throughout the night, were photographed, televised, witnessed by millions, written about in the international secular and religious press, and seen by both religious and political dignitaries such as Abdul Nasser, president of Egypt and self-proclaimed Marxist.
Spellbound people, often rooted to the ground, prayed the Rosary and sang Christian hymns. Muslims chanted, “Mary, God has chosen Thee…He has chosen Thee above all women”, from the Koran. Some saw nothing. Many, many more saw it all, taking in Her radiance hour after hour, watching and praying, going home to rest, and returning–only to find Her still there, watching and praying over them!

His Holiness Pope Kyrillos VI (Cyril VI) entrusted a committee of high rank priests and bishops to investigate the apparitions, and on Saturday, May 4, 1968, the Coptic Orthodox Church officially confirmed the apparitions after thorough investigation (see official report below). His Holiness Pope Kyrillos VI also assigned the responsibility of documenting the apparitions and accompanying miracles to a special committee headed by Anba Gregorios, bishop of postgraduate studies, Coptic culture and scientific research.

The apparitions were also approved by the local Catholic Patriarch, Cardinal Stephanos I (Stephen I), who stated that the apparitions of our Lady at Zeitoun were beyond any doubt and were seen by many of his trustworthy Coptic Catholic children. Father Dr. Henry Ayrout, the rector of the Catholic Collège de la Sainte Famille (Jesuit order) in Cairo also declared his acceptance of the miraculous apparitions of Virgin Mary, saying that whether Catholic or Orthodox, we are all Her children and She loves us all equally and Her apparitions at the Zeitoun Coptic Orthodox Church confirmed this notion. Rev. Dr. Ibrahim Said, head of all Protestant Evangelical Ministries in Egypt at the time of the apparitions, affirmed that the apparitions were true. Catholic nuns from the Sacré-Coeur order also witnessed the apparitions and sent a detailed report to the Vatican. On the evening of Sunday, April 28, 1968, an envoy from the Vatican arrived, saw the apparitions and sent a report to His Holiness Pope Paul VI of Rome.

The incident resulted in such widespread press coverage that Pope Shenouda III asked a Coptic businessman to sponsor a massive project to restore and renovate the church, to which he generously agreed. The LE750,000 project included a complete face-lift, restoration of the icons and stencil decorations, the renovation of the wooden doors and the iron bars on the windows and the installation of new electrical and ventilation systems.

The apparitions were approved firstly by the Patriarch of the Coptic Church in Egypt, and later on they received approval by the Roman Catholic Church.
Roman Catholic Cardinal Stephanos did all the investigations and submitted them to Pope Paul VI in May 1968, who approved them as a visitation of the Mother of God.

***When the city decided to bulldoze some nearby buildings in order to charge pilgrims money for parking, the apparitions ended.
 
First of all, blessed Christmas 🙂
I guess I have a weird question. Ive became a Catholic in summer 2013. However, as I think about it, i dont REALLY believe in Jesus. I like Christian philosophy, I like the lifestyle, I try to live as if I was a christian. I try to be good, I go to church, ive been praying rosary daily for half a year now.
On the other hand, i dont believe that other religions are false. Im not really sure wether things really happenened like they are described in the Bible. I just like that idea, but Im not completely persuaded. I wouldnt be able to defend these ideas to my friends.
The problem is that i studied social anthropology where we had courses like critical interpretation of religion etc… So for me, Christianity is something that works for me and gives me confort. But I dont feel a need to persuade other people they are wrong if they believe something else.
Catholicism is just a lifestyle for me. Is this a sin? What am I doing wrong? I do really believe that there is a God, but i dont believe people are able to describe him properly. For me, Christianity is just an attempt to describe him that works for me. But why cant i REALLY believe Catholic story is the TRUTH?
Far more than an opium and a lifestyle…Christianity is really a relationship of man with God (the other things follow after this)…It’s really a relationship like you and your friends/Family:) I was an atheist before and dont really believe…Afterall, I felt christianity was just another defensive mechanism to cover all the sufferings of this world…

Well to be honest to you (and I challenge you to do this if you really dont believe) when I was an atheist I asked God to prove Himself to me that He really exists…I was answered three years after. It was a long waiting, but the conversion/spiritual experiences couldnt be doubted (Blessed are those who havent seen yet believe though)… I mean it’s really an encounter with God (not just an idea). Christianity is really far from an idea.

It is really a relationship with Jesus. Well, I would recommend that you join an Ignatian Retreat (from the Jesuits)…Pope Francis’ order. They have one of the best Spiritual directors (as accounted by St Teresa of Avila) or the Carmelites.

If you read the lives of the saints, they werent really just moved out of piety or christian affection—it is entirely because they love Jesus and were close to Him.They are in a relationship.

Well, if you want to be closer to Him…talk to Him sincerely and openly.Go to the blessed sacrament…and find Christian mentors/spiritual directors.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top