I'm looking to buy a bible...I don't know which one to buy

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

system

I’m looking to buy a bible. I don’t know which one to buy?

Which one is recommended?

The KJV bible?

You are going to get all kinds of opinions here, but I want to suggest the Douay-Rheims…I had an old one that I about wore out, and I just got a new edition. It is very clear, but with traditional language.
It’s top drawer.👍

I see from your profile that you are a Catholic, therefore the KJV is not recommendable. It is a Protestant translation that is missing seven Old Testament books–called the Deuterocanonicals (or the Apocrypha, by Protestants). These books were removed during the Reformation and are not found in most common editions of the KJV or any other Protestant Bible.

The Douay-Rheims is an older Catholic translation that came out in the 1500s–before the King James. It was translated from the Latin Vulgate, which is the official Bible of the Catholic Church. It is written in sort of the same Old English style as the KJV–and there is some talk now that the KJV took large sections from the DRV.

The Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition is a more modern translation, and is a fairly good one–provided you get the Catholic Edition with the Deuterocanonicals. The RSV was originally a Protestant translation, so some editions don’t have the Deuterocanonicals.

The New American Bible is also a modern translation, published in 1970 by the US Conference of Bishops. It is a decent translation, although it has numerous deficiencies. It is currently used in the Lectionary for the Mass in the United States.

For more, consult www.catholic.com There is an excellent article about Bible translations under the Bible heading.

Hope this helps!

-ACEGC

This should really be on the Scripture board but never mind. It depends on whether you want more modern or more traditional English.

More modern

New American Bible (1970-1991)

New Jerusalem Bible (1985)

More traditional

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (1946-1965)

Douay-Rheims (1582-1609)

If you want a Bible with the style of KJV, go with the Douay-Rheims. (Here’s an online version so you can get a sample.)

Personally I would suggest the Ignatius (Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition). It’s very easy to understand and uses more modern language.

I’d suggest the RSV:CE. The Ignatius Holy Bible has the same translation as far as I know but a more utilitarian look (and hence cheaper).
RSV:CE:
ewtn.com/vcatalogue/pages/itemdetail.asp?itemcode=98011&source=searchresult.asp&keyword=Bible&g_than=1&l_than=2000&pgnu=3&category=all&eventcode=

Ignatius Holy Bible (although they might be out of stock):
catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=684

Here’s the New American Bible online:
nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/

The New American Bible for sale (on bottom of the page for $10):
www2.marian.org/mhcstore/Bibles%20and%20Prayerbooks.zhtml

I’d suggest the RSV:CE or Douay-Rheims over the NAB. If you go with the Douay-Rheims, you might want to get the Haydock Douay-Rheims which contains commentary:
ewtn.com/vcatalogue/pages/itemdetail.asp?itemcode=11050&source=searchresult.asp&keyword=Bible&g_than=1&l_than=2000&pgnu=1&category=all&eventcode=
prayrosary.com/shoppingcart/haydock.php3

So overall I’d suggest the Ignatius/RSV:CE (get whatever edition you can afford) unless you rather the text on the Douay-Rheims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back