I'm too difficult to love

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlmaPerdida
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people say things like you and your husband are saying when they’re at the end of their rope. That doesn’t mean they weren’t cut out for what they’ve vowed to do. It means they are overwhelmed and life has gotten very hard. Hang in there, and if you can get help, please get it. (Counselling for you alone can be very much better than no counselling for anyone. A healthy you is healthier for everyone.)
 
The excessively high expectations of me, and of our children, the absence of emotion except those of anger and frustration. He used to say he didn’t love me, in fact often showed contempt for me, and he left the family several times over the years because of the stresses of requiring so much of me and of our children…I recall him saying what your husband is saying, and wanting out of marriage and children. It wasn’t because he wasn’t a good man. He is a good man.
He’s quite fond of me now, but there were some rather awful years. 🙂
Can I ask how you overcame those awful years?

We are burnt out. BOTH of us. Very much so. But it still hurts to hear him say that he feels like this was all a mistake. My husband is a good man. I don’t see him as abusive as some have inferred. Yes, he does wish I kept house better… but then again, so do I.

As for time to ourselves–that is one thing we have made priority in recent years. One night a week he has the kids to himself while I have “me time” and one night a week he has a “night off” and burns off steam at the gym and playing pickup games of soccer. We also have “us time” once a month–built-in dates.

As the hours have passed and I’m cooled down, I still feel sad. And I still know this needs to be addressed. And I’m still feeling confused and hurt… But it’s settling down. If that makes sense.
 
I feel for you.

I married my husband BEFORE I became Catholic, three years ago, and personally, I wish, oh how I wish I had just stayed single.
 
In the meantime, what do I do? Like I said, I’m TRYING to be different. I’m PRAYING to be different. 😦
Make sure you get counselling just for you and the issues of loss you have inside. Trust your instincts…but with assistence.

I know how you feel about being too difficult to love or at least feeling that way. My question to you is “do you think it is because your husband is not able to give to you 100% either?”

God get’s all of you, aim higher. No one is perfect, and make sure your kids know you love them. Your husband has choices to make, and you cannot control those by how well you keep up with the house, the kids, the dinner, the shopping and work. You sound like you are doing very well and trying so hard. But my gut tells me you have to get help for you, as well. So you can stop trying to perform to perfection.

I know it is counter-intuitive but folks like us get it backwards all the time. We feel unlovable and keep trying harder, but always end up just feeling “less” than. That messes with your true worth. God made you for greatness. It’s hard to know that in your “knower” but with counselling you can learn what is appropriate to expect and what is appropriate to give…God has his guidelines but the church also allows us to participate in psychology to help us combat our failings and learn to love.

Peace and hugs (you are worthy of love, just ask your kids ;))
 
Alma, I kept trying, love and prayer. I wouldn’t give up. My family was around 1000 miles away for the first nearly 8 years, and my mother had died when I was a teen. My self-esteem was pretty low also. I was too often criticized for it to flourish! He used to say he didn’t love me also. We didn’t have date nights or the other activities you spoke of, but were struggling. It sounds as if you’re both doing the right things in that regard.

I think it made it difficult for him, that I didn’t give up on him or our marriage, especially him as the children’s father. Therefore, because he is basically very moral, he couldn’t entirely give up. There was a time that I used to cry every day, not in front of him as it annoyed him. I found support in weekly Confession, the priests knew me and let me say what I needed to. There was a 6.am half-hour Mass. I’d go to that and come home to make everyone breakfast.
Without God I wouldn’t have survived.

Perhaps your husband needs to understand more about himself. And that he is wearing himself out, and to learn more realistic standards for others. My husband would never be diagnosed. He says you can make anything fit any diagnosis, but I did find he does tick a number of the boxes for aspergers. That doesn’t mean your husband does. But if I had known the possibility and the symptoms when I was younger I might have known to take his criticisms and seeming coldness as being not personal. Maybe it would have hurt as much, but I could at least intellectually not taken it as personally.

It is a triumph that I can walk up to him each morning and share a hug. It far beats the early days when finally I’d ask for one and he’d say, “What for?”
A couple of things helped me cope, another person’s humor in response to something my husband said that hurt me. He’d come into the room when my brother in law and his wife were visiting, said something high-handed to me and he walked out again.

And some years later, in Confession, I had tears running down my cheeks, but wasn’t saying anything about that. The priest said, “Go back a minute. What were you thinking of just now?” I answered the priest with what my husband had said to me that morning, and he began to laugh. Another person might have been offended but I do have a sense of humor. (The priest was good but had his oddities and so do I, so it was okay) Yes, what my husband had said was pretty ridiculous. Actually it was pretty mean also. But those humorous signals did help me to step outside the criticism, to see that what my husband said to me wasn’t reasonable. And you do need to realize that it *isn’t *reasonable, no, you’re not unworthy of love, not too hard to love.

I have to head off now but keep in touch if you feel like it.
 
Can I ask how you overcame those awful years?

We are burnt out. BOTH of us. Very much so. But it still hurts to hear him say that he feels like this was all a mistake. My husband is a good man. I don’t see him as abusive as some have inferred. Yes, he does wish I kept house better… but then again, so do I.

As for time to ourselves–that is one thing we have made priority in recent years. One night a week he has the kids to himself while I have “me time” and one night a week he has a “night off” and burns off steam at the gym and playing pickup games of soccer. We also have “us time” once a month–built-in dates.

As the hours have passed and I’m cooled down, I still feel sad. And I still know this needs to be addressed. And I’m still feeling confused and hurt… But it’s settling down. If that makes sense.
It makes *total *sense. It is better not to say things you will wish you could take back later, but I know few people who haven’t done it, and even fewer who have things they later wish that they had said that they failed to say. Those careless words still do real damage, though, and it can take a long time for that to heal.
 
Clean out the family bank accounts and put the money in your name. Then tell him to grow a pair and realize that is to late to change his mind about children if he leaves he’s going to have to enjoy his new found freedom on 1/2 a paycheck, no home and no money. Then you need to tell him to get rid of his girlfriend.
Sam, I understand exactly where you are coming from with this response. It’s like a dash of cold water in the face. Many of us women start folding in on ourselves when our husbands treat us like dirt, instead of strengthening our backbones and standing up for ourselves and our children. And many times, when we are breaking down, dissolving into tears and lower self-esteem, it makes things worse by a factor of 10, because the cad husband sees that we have little self-respect on top of the disrespect he has just shown us. He knows he can do what he wishes and all we’ll do is cry, and maybe beg him to stay.

I’ve been around this block a couple of times myself, and I’m a bit harder, but also have a perspective that I am NOT going to be used and thrown out like last week’s garbage. If my husband told me such a thing, I would tell him he’s no prize himself, and if he wants out, he’d better be prepared to lose everything he ever had or thought of having, because I have just retained the best pair-busting divorce lawyer in 3 states. See you in court dear, or would you like to try counseling one more time?

😉

OP, Sam didn’t say this to hurt you further, but to remind you that YOU need to take care of yourself and your children. The man who can say “I’m not sure I want to do this any more” when he has 2 kids and 9 years into a marriage may well be the one who is flirting with infidelity, if not cheating already. It’s not a fiction. Keep your eyes open to reality. I hope that’s not the case with your husband, but don’t fall apart right now. Stand up for yourself and your children and DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF!!!

Also, the nasty comments about your housekeeping reflect upon HIM, not you.
 
I kind of agree with SamH on this one (I wish there was an emoticon that shows someone quickly hiding under a rock or running out of the room).

I hope it didn’t upset or offend the OP. I do think that it should be considered as a possible factor. Either way the best thing to do is to be proactive, your marriage is at stake. Try to have a heart to heart with your husband (not a fight) to find out what his real issues are. I think a good goal for that discussion should be to convince him of your desire to make the marriage work and to go to counseling.

God Bless
 
ALMA PERDIDA: YOU ARE NOT DIFFICULT TO LOVE!!! please believe this. I don’t know why your husband is acting as he is, but from reading your first post, you are obviously NOT the cause. Please don’t blame yourself like this! I will pray for you to be strong enouh to get through this. Also the username you have chosen on this forum saddens me. En serio, espero gravemente que usted no es una alma perdida, o que se puede encontrar Jesús y felicidad.

May the blessed mother of God pray for you too.
 
Marriage is definately challenging at times but it should not be so difficult all the time. I have no idea what kind of man your husband is but I will tell you what myself and all my guy friends and brothers in law want. Basically it is pretty simple we want the relationship to feel like it did in the beginning. We want you to care about sex and your relationship with us and not meals and laundry and watching HGTV and renovating the house so much. WE still want fun in the marriage. Be fun and you will have our undivided attention. I know 99% of people who read this think I’m an ape but my marriage is happy and by that same token I do whatever it takes to make my lady happy.
 
I’m so sorry you and your husband are going through this. God loves you. He doesn’t find you difficult to love.

I will be praying for you and your family
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top