Imitation of Christ

• Thread starter Thread starter BonnieBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BonnieBj

I bought a copy of the Imitation of Christ back in early September and try to read in it daily. I really love it but wonder if there might not be a more readable or modern translation out there somewhere that does not at the same time sacrifice the true meaning of what the author wrote. I have the one done by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood, 1982. There is a lot of it that I just don’t understand what is meant because of the language used. For example, at the begiinning of Chapter 20, what are “curiosities”? And in Chapter 21 “compunction” and “custom is overcome by custom.” And these are just from my reading today. I hope somebody can help me with these problems as I read through this wonderful devotional wor. I find it is very good for the soul.

You might want to try an older translation of the book, available online for free. In Book I, Chapter XX, it reads: “Seek a suitable time for thy meditation, and think frequently of the mercies of God to thee. Leave curious questions. Study such matters as bring thee sorrow for sin rather than amusement.”

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about purchasing this book today.

I am sorry to hear that some translations are hard to understand. I have enough trouble reading plain English! (my first language is Spanish)

I found the book at amazon by Vintage Classics - translated by Joseph Tylenda. The site has a feature that lets you view the inside pages of the book and the language seems pretty straighforward.

They also have a hardcover edition by Catholic Book Publishing Company but the site does not allow to view the text for this particular edition.

Would love to get more suggestions from people on this forum and I am looking forward to getting this book.

Hello Bonnie,

I saw your post earlier, and I could relate, I love Kempis and English is my second language, so I am used to research the meaning of words, even for those that are commonly understood by most people. But other than doing a full fledged research into specific words, what I also find helpful is to read on, because whenever an unfamiliar word is introduced, there is usually an expansion or explanation to follow in the next sentence or in the next paragraph.

****curiosity

"SEEK a suitable time for leisure and meditate often on the favors of God. Leave curiosities alone. Read such matters as bring sorrow to the heart rather than occupation to the mind. If you withdraw yourself from unnecessary talking and idle running about, from listening to gossip and rumors, you will find enough time that is suitable for holy meditation.”

Curiosity is defined as a need, thirst or desire for knowledge.

Definition of Curiosity: something unusual, worthy of collecting, a state in which you want to learn something unusual. Synonyms: oddity, oddment, peculiarity, rarity, wonder, cognitive state, curiousness, desire to know, inquisitiveness, interest, involvement, lust for learning, piece de resistance, showpiece, state of mind.

continued

compunction

“In truth, sublime words make not a man holy and just; but a virtuous life maketh him dear to God.
I had rather feel compunction than know its definition.
If thou didst know the whole Bible by heart and the sayings of all the philosophers, what would it profit it thee without the love of God and His grace.” Thomas a Kempis.Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 1 Ch. 1 v. 3

“If thou wilt make any progress keep thyself in the fear of God, and long not to be too free, but restrain all thy senses under discipline and give not thyself up to senseless mirth. Give thyself to compunction of heart and thou shalt find devotion. Compunction openeth the way for many good things, which dissoluteness is wont quickly to lose. It is wonderful that any man can ever rejoice heartily in this life who considereth and weigheth his banishment, and the manifold dangers which beset his soul.”

Definition of Compunction: - a feeling of deep regret (usually for some misdeed) Remorse, self-reproach, regret, ruefulness, sorrow, rue-sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment; “he drank to drown his sorrows”; “he wrote a note expressing his regret”; “to his rue, the error cost him the game” Guilt feelings, guilty conscience-remorse caused by feeling responsible for some offence. Penance, penitence, repentance-remorse.

continued

“custom is overcome by custom”

“Through lightness of heart and neglect of our shortcomings we feel not the sorrows of our soul, but often vainly laugh when we have good cause to weep. There is no true liberty nor real joy, save in the fear of God with a good conscience. Happy is he who can cast away every cause of distraction and bring himself to the one purpose of holy compunction. Happy is he who putteth away from him whatsoever may stain or burden his conscience. Strive manfully; custom is overcome by custom. If thou knowest how to let men alone, they will gladly let thee alone to do thine own works.”

Definition of custom: A long-established practice common to a people or culture, an accepted or habitual practice, a specific practice of long standing.

So “custom overcome by custom” means, we can overcome our old habits (customs) by establishing new ones (new customs)

I hope this helps.

40.png
RosaLydia:
What a coincidence! I was just thinking about purchasing this book today.

They also have a hardcover edition by Catholic Book Publishing Company but the site does not allow to view the text for this particular edition.

Would love to get more suggestions from people on this forum and I am looking forward to getting this book.
I have a copy of the version from Catholic Book Company. It’s a very modern translation which makes it easy to read and understand. It also carries the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, so at the least it is a reliable translation, free from doctrinal error. To give you an example of the translation, I’ll post one of the sections that tru_devotion posted…
“In truth, sublime words make not a man holy and just; but a virtuous life maketh him dear to God.
I had rather feel compunction than know its definition.
If thou didst know the whole Bible by heart and the sayings of all the philosophers, what would it profit it thee without the love of God and His grace.” Thomas a Kempis.Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 1 Ch. 1 v. 3
This version translates as:

Lofty words neither save you nor make you a Saint;only a virtuous life makes you dear to God. It is better to experience contrition than to be able to define it.
To be well versed in Scripture and all the sayings of philosophers will not profit you if you are without God’s love and His grace.

As you can see, this translation doesn’t have the beauty or poetry of some others, but it is easy to understand, and relays the same ideas effectively. It might be a good purchase for those who are uncomfortable with older styles of English.

The Imitation is a great book. But it was written for medieval monks. Keep that in mind as you use it.

Don’t read it too fast. Maybe spend a day or more on one chapter. And if you have to use your dictionary, that’s ok.

These are great posts with helpful hints; I will try to purchase the modern translation myself. (I was not even aware it existed) Thanks mtr!

Ray also made a good point; those of us who live in the world have to adjust Kempis to fit us a bit. But a certain amount of stretch does not hurt anyone, and if nothing else, we come to the realization that the path to holiness is an arduous one. Not many stumble on it in this life and even fewer are able to stay on it. Thanks to God for purgatory!

40.png
tru_dvotion:
These are great posts with helpful hints; I will try to purchase the modern translation myself. (I was not even aware it existed) Thanks mtr!
You’re very welcome 🙂 I happened to stumble across that version at my local Catholic bookstore. It’s an attractive little hardcover, and it also contains some illustrations of biblical quotes that relate to subjects being discussed (as do most volumes from the Catholic Book Company). They also publish a version of St. Augustine’s Confessions.
40.png
tru_dvotion:
Ray also made a good point; those of us who live in the world have to adjust Kempis to fit us a bit. But a certain amount of stretch does not hurt anyone, and if nothing else, we come to the realization that the path to holiness is an arduous one. Not many stumble on it in this life and even fewer are able to stay on it. Thanks to God for purgatory!
I completely agree here. It’s important to focus on the ideas Kempis writes about as a foundation for us to build upon. It took me a great deal of meditation while reading the book to figure out how to apply it to my life. On a personal level, as I meditated, I could feel myself being more open to God’s grace in my life (my personal testimony to the value of the book).

Also, I would suggest that after reading *Imitation *it might also be helpful to read St. Francis de Sales’ Introduction to the Devout Life. That book was specifically written for lay people “out here in the world”, and offers some insights on how to apply some of the principles discussed by Kempis in our own lives.

Thanks y’all, most helpful. I’ll see what my local Catholic shop has next week. The modern translation sounds like a good bet. And the de Sales book as well. I am using the Imitation as part of my formation as a Benedictine oblate and while the language is beautiful, I need to understand what the author is trying to teach me. It’s like the language of the KJV as opposed to, say, the Living Bible.
:tiphat:

Bonnie, I have the Confraternity of the Precious Blood edition and while I like it for its size, poetry of language and scripture citings I too find the achaiac wording heavy going. I have bought, for my children, the William C. Creasy translation - it is easy to understand and does not lose any of the original intention. I will probably use both.

As another poster has said, remember that this book was written about 500 years ago and was meant for monks.

40.png
yinekka:
Bonnie, I have the Confraternity of the Precious Blood edition and while I like it for its size, poetry of language and scripture citings I too find the achaiac wording heavy going. I have bought, for my children, the William C. Creasy translation - it is easy to understand and does not lose any of the original intention. I will probably use both.

As another poster has said, remember that this book was written about 500 years ago and was meant for monks.
My copy of The “Imitation” was published by Catholic Book Publishing in 1993. edited by Clare L. Fitzpatrick. It’s easy reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back