Impulse Buying Problems

• Thread starter Thread starter LawStudent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LawStudent

I have a problem with impulse buying. I think the item is good and I need it, only to realise when I buy it that I don’t want it, but have paid for it via eBay or Amazon.

I deleted eBay from my bookmarks recently and this helped for a considerable period of time, but in the past few days I have bought 1 CD at $7.00 and a CD from Amazon at $12.00

I will get the money that I’ve paid for the CDs back at the end of the week because I am selling 2 CDs that were bought a while back (you guessed it, an impulse buy!) and so the money received from that sale will cancel out the 2 CDs I bought today.
I have again deleted eBay from my bookmarks and I’ll be leaving it well alone until I really do need something.

Has anyone any advice on how to avoid impulse buying?

Well, you have a good start by staying off your “problem” sites; e-Bay and Amazon.
I have struggled with this problem myself, plenty! I now only go to Macys (my big “I want” place) about twice a year and when there, say a little prayer before I rush off to checkout. Do I NEED this or WANT this? It’s made a big difference.
I believe it’s the coveting factor. I see, therefore I want. If I do not see, I will not want.
Making lists before entering even a grocery store helps. Stick to the list. It works.
Another helpful hint: When you have sucessfully NOT purchased something, put the price of it into the collection at Mass.
I know it’s tough. I struggle with this coveting problem everytime I enter a store. Think of it as the devil’s lair of temptation. Pray.

40.png
catsrus:
I believe it’s the coveting factor. I see, therefore I want. If I do not see, I will not want.
Yes you are exactly correct in this analysis. I am ok in stores fortunately, because there are a few steps to take before buying things : 1. Choose the item 2. Take to the cash desk 3. And pay for item. And at any stage you can decide not to buy.
But with the Internet it is much more deadly, as when you click to purchase an item, it is often an instantaneous transactione especially with eBay.

Thanks for your reply. God bless.

Another thing that I do when I’m tempted to buy stuff is to do it like this:

Okay, I see something I’m dying to have. But do I really need it? I do would love to have it but I want to know Jesus more! I’d rather have a deep love for him than material things…

This REALLY helps! Try it!😛

Sometimes this can be a sign of mental illness. I incurred credit card debts over years because of impulse buying, which my psychiatrist said is partly attributable to my manic episodes. Now I am bankrupt.

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Sometimes this can be a sign of mental illness
I think it is with me. I’ve been to the doctor about stuff and there are definitely things not normal with me.

Anyway, I’ll press on as we all do trusting in the Lord’s unfailing help.

God bless.

From reading some of your posts, I’m wondering if you have ADD or ADHD! People with ADD or ADHD often also suffer from depression and anxiety.

This could also be a way of dealing with some childhood stressors that you need to deal with.

Pray and ask God where to go with this. It works for me!

I’ve had a problem with this also. My rule for myself is this: When I see something I think I really want, I force a cooling-off period. If I’m in the mall, I keep walking, and if I can’t get the item out of my mind, I consider buying it. Most times, I just forget about it in a few minutes. For online buying, you could email the link to yourself in case you decide you really need to buy the item, then go to another site to distract yourself for awhile, or even sign off altogether. When you go back to your email, you’ll have a cooler head and will be able to delete your item if you decide you don’t really need it. You don’t even need to see it again if you keep your subject line vague.

Hope this helps.

Betsy

I’m like this especially with books. And the deadly “free gift with purchase.” Oy.

Sometimes, putting it in my shopping cart, whether at an online store or a real store, is enough. I can wander around the store and, I don’t really think about it, but I will suddenly not need various things in my cart. At amazon, just having something on my wish list is enough. Often I will go back and wonder why I added something.

It was an impulse.

Ebay is another story. That can almost be like gambling with the rush when one wins and all.

For me not having the means (i.e.* appropriate method of payment, or no dough) helped break the habit.

*I forgot my PayPal password and for awhile I couldn’t find my Credit card

BaltoBetsey gave good advice!

“For online buying, you could email the link to yourself in case you decide you really need to buy the item, then go to another site to distract yourself for awhile, or even sign off altogether.”

I’m mildly bipolar myself. The way I deal with e-bay is to click on “watch this item.” Then I go elsewhere, either physically, or online. If I forget to go back to my watched item, oh well, I guess I didn’t want it that much.

I deal with Amazon like Reed does - put it on my wish list. (Which, by the way, I e-mail to my family just before Christmas.)

Other than that, I like my manic times, because that’s when I get things done, like housework, and paying bills…

Funny, I’ve only had one trip to the deep pits since I began my swim across the Tiber!

Momofone:
From reading some of your posts, I’m wondering if you have ADD or ADHD! People with ADD or ADHD often also suffer from depression and anxiety
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

What exactly is ADD or ADHD. I’m not sure I understand what these are.

Thanks. God bless

Best advice yet - start your own business and then you will be flat busted broke and can not buy anything, needed OR wanted! Just my suggestion - it works for me great. I have not been able to buy anything but hot dogs and Helper (Hamburger Helper minus the hamburger) for about 4 years now!

First, cancel your accounts, that way you would have to go through the hassle of signing up again before you buy.

Here is something I heard recently to help “addicts” not take that wrong step. Picture your child/spouse or some other to whom you are responsible, and who will be hurt by your action. Recoginize that your action is hurting them. Do you still want to do it? Is it worth it?

If you can afford these items, then perhaps you may feel you are not hurting them, but think of a better way you might spend that same money. A vacation, savings account or education fund?
Put that money (or even just a note saying how much money) you would have spent in a jar. At the end of the month take a look. Seeing how much/deeply you are into your buying, and what might be acheived with the $ if you resist may help.

best to you, I am an impulse eater and am trying these methods myself.

cheddar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back