Indulgences

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Why were Indulgences changed to just Partial or Plenery? I still find many prayers in prayer books (like the blue Pieta Book) and on Holy Cards that still have X # of days Indulgence for certain actions and/or prayers.

Indulgences were always either partial or plenary. Partial endulgence = indulgence of X many days. The church has stopped announcing days on partial indulgences because they were creating scandal for the faithful. Too many people were believing that “300 days” meant 300 days knocked of purgatory, as opposed to 300 days penance in accordance with ancient norms for confession. Basically, the length of days has lost all meaning now, except if one wanted to compare which prayer they wanted to say based on which indulgence was longer, which in my opinion, is another abuse.

Josh

I’m no expert on indulgences but here’s some web sites:
catholic.net/RCC/Catechism/3/l21.html
newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm

I don’t think the Church ever changed from just plenary(full) to plenary and partial indulgences; indulgences have probably always been plenary and partial.

They probably stopped listing days because it was confusing the people.

Also, the Pieta Prayer book is not an official prayer book so you might want to check first to see whether the Church has recognized the indulgences/promises. For example, the Church rejects the promises alledgedly revealed to St. Bridget:
ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=438463&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2005&Author=&Keyword=Pieta+prayer&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=3&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=
ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=438662&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2005&Author=&Keyword=Pieta+prayer&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=4&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the “HANDBOOK OF INDULGENCES” recognized by the Church?
ewtn.com/vcatalogue/pages/itemdetail.asp?itemcode=585&source=searchresult.asp&keyword=handbook&g_than=1&l_than=2000&pgnu=1&category=all&eventcode=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back