Indulgences

• Thread starter Thread starter lil_lady
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lil_lady

**I have always been a little bit confused about indulgences. Exactly what are they and how can you receive them. They have always confused me so i was hoping somebody here could help me out. Thanks **
:blessyou:

Since we are on this subject, I recently read a short list of “prerequisites” for obtaining indulgences, including:

the person must have recently been to confession before seeking the indulgence

the person should receive holy communion

the person should be “free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin” to receive the indulgence.

What does it mean to be “free from all attachment to sin?”

40.png
Cherub:
Since we are on this subject, I recently read a short list of “prerequisites” for obtaining indulgences, including:

the person must have recently been to confession before seeking the indulgence

the person should receive holy communion

the person should be “free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin” to receive the indulgence.

These are conditions for a plenary indulgence. If the conditions are not met, then a partial indulgence is granted.

As for “free from all attachment to sin”, in essence it means one cannot have even the slightest affection for anything that would be sinful in any way. In other words, it’s nearly impossible (I’d bet maybe a Saint or two might have managed this). For my part, I’m pretty much certain that I’ll never meet that condition (even though I strive for that day), so I’m exceedingly grateful for any partial indulgence I may receive.

Thanks for explaining, mtr01.

So, right after making a confession (after very prayerful examination of one’s soul) and after receiving holy communion, it could be possible in that state to attempt a plenary and hope to actually gain it. It does sound nearly impossible, but worth trying for, especially when holy souls in purgatory are at stake – or one’s own immortal soul.

After confession and Mass, the only thing on my mind or heart is God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary and the Angels and Saints, the entire heavenly host, and all good things of God’s kingdom. Maybe that would be my best chance of trying for a plenary.

40.png
Cherub:
Thanks for explaining, mtr01.

So, right after making a confession (after very prayerful examination of one’s soul) and after receiving holy communion, it could be possible in that state to attempt a plenary and hope to actually gain it. It does sound nearly impossible, but worth trying for, especially when holy souls in purgatory are at stake – or one’s own immortal soul.

After confession and Mass, the only thing on my mind or heart is God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary and the Angels and Saints, the entire heavenly host, and all good things of God’s kingdom. Maybe that would be my best chance of trying for a plenary.
My pleasure, Cherub. Yes! by all means attempt to gain a plenary indulgence. If you feel that by the grace of God you have indeed lost all attachment to sin, then it is a perfect moment.

As I understand it, you can receive a plenary indulgence for praying 5 decades of the Rosary aloud in church (while meditating on the mysteries) including prayers for our Holy Father’s intentions (usually an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be). I would say that might be your best bet. If your parish has confession before the Sunday vigil mass, go to both, receive communion, then stay afterwards and pray the Rosary. At the very least you’ll receive a partial indulgence.

Also keep in mind that pleanary indulgences only apply to forgiven sins, they have no effect on future sins. Good luck and God bless!

When you read about indulgences you will often see it refering to a certain amount of days, like fourty days. When you go to confession you are supposed to do a penance. An indulgence is a shortening of that penance by doing something good.

Gregory of Nyssa said that the penance should be shortened if the person doing it showed sincerity and zeal while doing it.

Even better than the link to anarticle on indulgences by James Akin is a chapter on indulgences in his book The Salvation Controversy. Excellent book, worth every penny and you can get it from Catholic Answers.

40.png
Cherub:
It means that we’ll be praying to you for intercession eventually, because there will be statues of you in a lot of churches! 😃

[What does it mean to be “free from all attachment to sin?”
[/QUOTE]
What is attachment to sin, which you must gain freedom from to receive a plenary indulgence? It represents the unqualified disposition of the person who is receiving the indulgence. The required dispositions to recieve indulgences are love of God, hatred toward sin, trust in the merits of Christ the Lord, and the firm belief that the communion of saints is of great advantage to the faithful. It is also an act of submission to the lawful pastors of the Church, above all to the successor of St. Peter, the bearer of the keys of heaven.

Taken from the Handbook of Norms and Grants
The Apostolic Constitution on Indulgences 1 January 1967

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back