H
hansard
Guest
Reading the Catechism today, I stumbled across this item:
1654 Spouses to whom God has not granted children can nevertheless have a conjugal life full of meaning, in both human and Christian terms. Their marriage can radiate a fruitfulness of charity, of hospitality, and of sacrifice.
Can such couples still engage in sexual activity, knowing that it can never achieve its true purpose (the creation of new life)? Or, to be blunt, are they better to keep trying, just in case?
Now that I think of it (widening the scope of the thread somewhat), can elderly couples still have sex, knowing that their period of fertility is over and the sex is just for pleasure?
In all this, I mean “in the eyes of the Church”.
1654 Spouses to whom God has not granted children can nevertheless have a conjugal life full of meaning, in both human and Christian terms. Their marriage can radiate a fruitfulness of charity, of hospitality, and of sacrifice.
Can such couples still engage in sexual activity, knowing that it can never achieve its true purpose (the creation of new life)? Or, to be blunt, are they better to keep trying, just in case?
Now that I think of it (widening the scope of the thread somewhat), can elderly couples still have sex, knowing that their period of fertility is over and the sex is just for pleasure?
In all this, I mean “in the eyes of the Church”.