Inquisition

  • Thread starter Thread starter guanophore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You must also, however, understand the thinking of the people of the time, who had a very fervent faith, which was everything to them. What I mean with this is that TODAY many Christians (mostly protestants) agree with Capital Punishment when someone has committed murder. So, today in many states in the US is acceptable that, when someone kills a person in what the material body is concerned, that person is PUT TO DEATH. Now imagine, how much worse it was, in the eyes of those who had such a fervent faith, to be a heretic, who, according to their beliefs, did not necessarily killed the body but killed the soul! a heretic was MURDERER of SOULS to them, much worse than a MURDERER of the body for which you are put to death TODAY.

So you have to take into account their way of thinking as well, to really understand what was going on on those days AMONG ALL CHRISTIANS!

Many blessings,

E.C.
I know. I am not at all sure that Jesus intended for us to have the death penalty. However, I can certainly resonate with wanting it! At this moment, I am monitoring a young man who shot and killed a nine year old in a gang related incident. Is he worthy of death? I think so. So are many others worthy of life, like that 9 year old. Can I give it to him? No. May God forgive me! The last thing I want to do is turn the other cheek…
 
I know. I am not at all sure that Jesus intended for us to have the death penalty. However, I can certainly resonate with wanting it! At this moment, I am monitoring a young man who shot and killed a nine year old in a gang related incident. Is he worthy of death? I think so. So are many others worthy of life, like that 9 year old. Can I give it to him? No. May God forgive me! The last thing I want to do is turn the other cheek…
I believe that when Jesus set everything anew, he abolished the death penalty. However, God Himself in the O.T., actually ordered the death penalty, including for heretics (Deuteronomy 13). These mandates of the O.T. is in what the Inquisition was based on, and also the misintepretation, as I mentioned, of the following verse:

1 2 It is widely reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of a kind not found even among pagans–a man living with his father’s wife.
2
And you are inflated with pride. Should you not rather have been sorrowful? The one who did this deed should be expelled from your midst.
3
I, for my part, although absent in body but present in spirit, have already, as if present, pronounced judgment on the one who has committed this deed,
4
in the name of (our) Lord Jesus: when you have gathered together and I am with you in spirit with the power of the Lord Jesus,
5
you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Some interpreted, “destroying the flesh” with fire, being burned at the stake.

Many blessings,

E.C.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top