INRI -- what does it stand for?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sorbetto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sorbetto

On the crucifix hanging in our parish (and probably all Catholic crucifixes, now that I think of it), on the cross it has the letters “INRI.” What does this stand for? 🙂

I believe it’s the latin alphabet first letters for “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews.” In latin, “J” is “I”.

I - Jesus
N - Nazareth
R - Regni (King)
I - Jews

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm

Latin uses “I” instead of the English “J”, and “V” instead of “U” (i.e., Jesus Nazarenus Rex Judaeorum). The English translation is “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.”

I know a nice, Catholic homeschool family who always joked that it stood for, “I’m nailed right in.”

Their other favorite joke was calling St. Joan of Arc the first French Fry.

sighs I guess we’re all human.

Josh

this is, by the way, what was posted on the sign that they hung on the cross above Jesus when He was crucified. they wrote ‘Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews’ in latin, greek, and hebrew.

INRI is an abbreviation for that.

the jews went to pilate and asked him to put instead ‘he CLAIMED he was the king of the jews’

and pilate (in one of my fav biblical quotes) said ‘what i have written, i have written.’

40.png
Didi:
I believe it’s the latin alphabet first letters for “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews.” In latin, “J” is “I”.

I - Jesus
N - Nazareth
R - Regni (King)
I - Jews
That’s right. It is on the crosses in Methodist churches, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back