Inter religious dialogues versus religious criticism

• Thread starter Thread starter Johnpeter073
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnpeter073

Religious criticism often goes against the spirit of inter religious dialogues. How to balance between them? For example, in debates or casual talks with a Muslim we will have to often state that Mohamed is not a true prophet and they don’t have Abrahamic faith, though they profess to hold it etc but it hurts them as well. Is there a solution to criticize other religions as a part of evangelisation without going against the spirit of inter religious dialogues?

This takes us back to the old question of “evangelizing good, proselytizing bad,” and the difficulty of discerning where, exactly, the dividing line runs. It’s a question that is asked here at CAF quite often:
40.png
Evangelize or proselytize Non-Catholic Religions
What’s the difference between evangelizing and proselytizing?

Last edited:
Religious criticism often goes against the spirit of inter religious dialogues. How to balance between them? For example, in debates or casual talks with a Muslim we will have to often state that Mohamed is not a true prophet and they don’t have Abrahamic faith, though they profess to hold it etc but it hurts them as well. Is there a solution to criticize other religions as a part of evangelisation without going against the spirit of inter religious dialogues?
Ask questions that highlight inconsistint beliefs.

Specific to Islam my understanding is that they venerate Mary, and believe that she conceived Jesus as a virgin.

I’d confirm that and if confirmed would ask about Jesus’ father and Mohamed’s mother.

People shouldn’t be hurt by an honest conversation in good will. If they are, that’s on them. On the other hand, bitterly running someone or their religion down is contrary to charity. That’s the true spirit of inter-religious dialogue: an honest conversation that gets to the truth. The false spirit of religious dialogue (what Vatican II calls “irenicism”)–seen all too often today–avoids offense at all costs in order to achieve pleasant cocktail parties and photo-ops. It may seem nice, but that is a sign that faith and charity have grown cold.

Vatican II, Gaudium et Spes
This love and good will, to be sure, must in no way render us indifferent to truth and goodness. Indeed love itself impels the disciples of Christ to speak the saving truth to all men. But it is necessary to distinguish between error, which always merits repudiation, and the person in error, who never loses the dignity of being a person even when he is flawed by false or inadequate religious notions.
St. Pius X, E Supremi
  1. But in order that the desired fruit may be derived from this apostolate and this zeal for teaching, and that Christ may be formed in all, be it remembered, Venerable Brethren, that no means is more efficacious than charity. “For the Lord is not in the earthquake” (III Kings xix., II) - it is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal. On the contrary, harm is done more often than good by taunting men harshly with their faults, and reproving their vices with asperity. True the Apostle exhorted Timothy: “Accuse, beseech, rebuke,” but he took care to add: “with all patience” (II. Tim.iv., 2). Jesus has certainly left us examples of this. “Come to me,” we find Him saying, “come to me all ye that labor and are burdened and I will refresh you” (Matth. xi., 28). And by those that labor and are burdened he meant only those who are slaves of sin and error. What gentleness was that shown by the Divine Master! What tenderness, what compassion towards all kinds of misery! Isaias has marvelously described His heart in the words: “I will set my spirit upon him; he shall not contend, nor cry out; the bruised reed he will not break, he will not extinguish the smoking flax” (Is. xlii., I, s.). This charity, “patient and kind” (I. Cor. xiii., 4.), will extend itself also to those who are hostile to us and persecute us. “We are reviled,” thus did St. Paul protest, “and we bless; we are persecuted and we suffer it; we are blasphemed and we entreat” (I. Cor., iv., 12, s.). They perhaps seem to be worse than they really are. Their associations with others, prejudice, the counsel, advice and example of others, and finally an ill advised shame have dragged them to the side of the impious; but their wills are not so depraved as they themselves would seek to make people believe. Who will prevent us from hoping that the flame of Christian charity may dispel the darkness from their minds and bring to them light and the peace of God? It may be that the fruit of our labors may be slow in coming, but charity wearies not with waiting, knowing that God prepares His rewards not for the results of toil but for the good will shown in it.

Why so eager to criticize? Let them first articulate their beliefs, then seek what we have in common, then aericulate our differences with love.

I’d confirm that
Let them first articulate their beliefs, then seek what we have in common,
I had an old, wise professor who once said that “you never have the right to criticize a belief until (1) you understand that belief and (2) you’ve learned something from it.”

I think that’s very wise. To understand their belief you have to let them talk and explain it to you. And to learn something from it, you have to look for what’s true about their belief as the “common ground” you can use to engage the other. Unless you’re doing both of these things, you’re not in any position to offer criticism.

Yes, and be self vigilant about exercising a religious imperialism. Meanwhile, how deeply do we even understand our own beliefs and why we hold them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back