Interesting Article on the Vocation Shortage

• Thread starter Thread starter ChristIsTheWay
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s keep in mind that correlation does not prove causation. Just because dioceses that are more conservative ordain more men to the priesthood, it does not necessarily follow that the two have a causal relationship. :twocents:

It’s all about the Bishops. Those men who are “conservative” a.k.a athentic Catholics are choosing where they enter the priesthood. They are voting with their feet.The renewal of VatII has just begun I love those new young JPII Catholic priests because it shows God has not given up on us!!!👍

Let’s keep in mind that correlation does not prove causation. Just because dioceses that are more conservative ordain more men to the priesthood, it does not necessarily follow that the two have a causal relationship. :twocents:
Of course; that’s common knowledge for anyone who has taken a course in critical thinking. However, I’m a firm believer in following the evidence, and thus far it indicates that something within conservative dioceses is convincing more men to become priests. Personally, I don’t need a causal link to form preliminary conclusions. I’ll await evidence to the contrary, however, it seems to be lacking at this point.

There is an unmistakable causal link here. I strongly recommend the book “Goodbye Good Men” by the same author as the article, Michael Rose. In fact this article looks like it was lifted right out of the first chapter.

The universal salvation message preached by many liberals and liberal theologians actively discourages vocations. That message says there are no real consequences to sin. Everybody is saved, despite themselves. A person with more than three brains cells also realizes the corollary; therefore there can be no real benefits to sacrificially serving God. No one wants to serve a God who says “Hey, you are all going to Heaven anyway. Just go have a good time.” It was this reasoning that motivated the USCCB to translate the phrase “pro multis” in words of consecration from the literal Greek “for many” (male gender) to “for all”.

On the other hand, those who teach true Catholic doctrine, wrongly but conveniently labeled as “conservative”, teach there are consequences for sin thus there are benefits to sacrifice and personal holiness.

Sadly, many just do not want to give up their favorite personal sin. And you know what, sacrifice is not fun. That is what modern culture pounds into us thousands of time each day. This is why we Catholics must guard our minds from this poison.

It seems that some are better at this guarding than others. But then, that has always been the case.

Whereas it is true that a correlation does not prove a causal relationship, it is important to remember that it suggests one, and the stronger the correlation, the stronger the suggestion.

If there is a strong correlation between events A and B (in this particular case, a positive correlation), there is a strong suggestion that either:

A causes B,
B causes A, or
C causes both A and B.

This is a good starting point to search for an answer to the so-called vocations crisis, and as another poster mentioned, there is plenty of literature out there to support this correlation.

That is MY two cents.

MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back