R
Randy_Carson
Guest
I’m familiar with the quote. And I will one day, God willing.That’s not me saying that; that’s a quote by Augustine. Take it up with him.
I’m familiar with the quote. And I will one day, God willing.That’s not me saying that; that’s a quote by Augustine. Take it up with him.
Doesn’t matter. If Rome said [X] is interpretation, then what the Father’s thought is just opinion.Where did I deny anything? I said the received text was Greek and it is. Any study of Matthew in Aramaic is done from a translation from Greek into Aramaic. As to the interpretation of Peter as “the” rock you don’t need textual criticism to understand that passage. Some of them understood Peter as the rock but more understood that passage in other ways. Here again is the summary from the survey by Roman Catholic Scholar Jean de Launoy.
1) 7 Fathers thought of the rock as Peter
2) 44 thought it referred to Peter’s confession
3) 16 thought Christ was the rock
4) 8 thought the rock was all the apostles
So other interpretations of that verse are not some invention of the 16th century for sure.
Right. That’s been my point that has been missed over and over. For a Protestant to say “My interpretation is [X]” and a Catholic to think that’s utter ridiculousness, then to see that great Church Father’s supported said interpretation makes it seem like the Catholics are too rash in their judgements. Or Augustine himself saying to let the reader decide; it’s unfair to the Protestant/Orthodox person when we do and are criticized.Well I don’t know what Protestants think but the fact is there are a number of different patristic interpretations. Honestly it seems quite likely for the most part they didn’t put anywhere near the emphasis on a particular understanding the way the Catholic Church came to eventually came to do.
Likewise when he disagrees (or anyone else) it was only just his opinion and it’s no big deal.It always makes me laugh when n-Cs try to use St. Augustine
That’s nice; I’m glad we amuse you. I wonder what that looks like when you’re one on one with a Protestant.
Protestant: Well, St Augustine does say in this book…
You: Hahahahahah
Church Militant;12463945:
“I would not believe in the Gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so.”to try to support their positions but tend to ignore him when he says things like the following.
Against the letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D.
“All heretics wish to be styled Catholic, yet if anyone asks them where is the Catholic place of worship none would venture to point out his own.”
What you (and Augustine) are leaving out is what Jesus says next. He tells Peter that he will give him the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven and that whatever he binds and looses on earth will be bound and loosed in heaven. Again…I find it funny that you think St. Augustine went against the teachings of the Church in his final days due to the fact that the CATHOLIC CHURCH made him a saint and proclaimed him a doctor of the Church. That does’t happen to a man who takes a heterodox position on Church teaching toward the end of his life (see Tertullian and Origen). This so-called Retractions that St. Augustine wrote was only published after the urging of those within the Catholic Church. I doubt they would do that if the whole book contained a recanting of his Catholic theology.I simply agree with Augustine and you agree with some other Fathers on this one. I believe in a way Peter was a stone as are we, “but the rock was Christ”.
If it hasn’t already been said,Is that the case? I’ve not seen any evidence showing that Matthew was received in Aramaic and the rest in Greek. Do you have any source for that?
True.Doesn’t matter. If Rome said [X] is interpretation, then what the Father’s thought is just opinion.
Your point has not been missed by all.That’s been my point that has been missed over and over. For a Protestant to say “My interpretation is [X]” and a Catholic to think that’s utter ridiculousness, then to see that great Church Father’s supported said interpretation makes it seem like the Catholics are too rash in their judgements. Or Augustine himself saying to let the reader decide; it’s unfair to the Protestant/Orthodox person when we do and are criticized.
Same in doctrines, yes. These cannot be changed, since they are part of the once for all divine deposit of faith. But dogmas, yes, much has been developed beyond the NT.I don’t believe (and I don’t think you do either) that the Early Church was the same in its doctrines as the Roman Catholic Church now.
Using that “scholars” interpretation, assuming he’s correct, and without evidence, I’m not so easy to give him any slack there, then let’s look at what he’s saidWhere did I deny anything? I said the received text was Greek and it is. Any study of Matthew in Aramaic is done from a translation from Greek into Aramaic. As to the interpretation of Peter as “the” rock you don’t need textual criticism to understand that passage. Some of them understood Peter as the rock but more understood that passage in other ways. Here again is the summary from the survey by Roman Catholic Scholar Jean de Launoy.
1) 7 Fathers thought of the rock as Peter
2) 44 thought it referred to Peter’s confession
3) 16 thought Christ was the rock
4) 8 thought the rock was all the apostles
Then the burden of proof is on you to show how these doctrines have changed.I don’t believe (and I don’t think you do either) that the Early Church was the same in its doctrines as the Roman Catholic Church now.
James White, and William Webster used that same argument for their polemic against Peter as the Rock. Here is one response.There was a time when the Church allowed people to have tiny disagreements without making everything Anathema:
“In a passage in this book, I said about the Apostle Peter: ‘On him as on a rock the Church was built.’ . . . But I know that very frequently at a later time, I so explained what the Lord said: ‘Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church,’ that it be understood as built upon Him whom Peter confessed saying: ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God,’ and so Peter, called after this rock, represented the person of the Church which is built upon this rock, and has received ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven.’ For, ‘Thou art Peter’ and not ‘Thou art the rock’ was said to him. But ‘the rock was Christ,’ in confessing whom, as also the whole Church confesses, Simon was called Peter. But let the reader decide which of these two opinions is the more probable.” (The Retractions, 1:20:1)
-Augustine
Silly ignorant Protestant Augustine.
However, Matthew 16:18,19 does not stand alone. If it did then you might have a debatable position (But not really, see below). There is John 1:42 to consider. John 1:42 nails the lid on the coffin of your position;Doesn’t matter. If Rome said [X] is interpretation, then what the Father’s thought is just opinion.
Right. That’s been my point that has been missed over and over. For a Protestant to say “My interpretation is [X]” and a Catholic to think that’s utter ridiculousness, then to see that great Church Father’s supported said interpretation makes it seem like the Catholics are too rash in their judgements. Or Augustine himself saying to let the reader decide; it’s unfair to the Protestant/Orthodox person when we do and are criticized.
I don’t believe (and I don’t think you do either) that the Early Church was the same in its doctrines as the Roman Catholic Church now.
YesHowever, Matthew 16:18,19 does not stand alone. If it did then you might have a debatable position. But John 1:42 nails the lid on the coffin of your position;
John 1:42 - “He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter).”
No doubt there as to who was rock. Cehas was the transliterated (not translated but transliterated) Aramaic word for rock. A transliterated word is a word brought from one language into another with no loss of meaning. Thus we have in English Latin words such as ipso facto or French words such as rendevous, Hispanic words like adobe. In Aramaic Cephas would be Kepha. So the Aramaic word becomes a Greek word and because it is the name of a man it gets the masculine gender ending (-s) added on to the root word Kepha. So Kepha in Aramaic becomes Kephas (or Cephas) in Greek. Thus Peter is the rock and you got Jesus own words on it.
Except that I have yet to encounter even one n-C in person who knows that St. Augustine is anything other than a really old city in Florida.That’s nice; I’m glad we amuse you. I wonder what that looks like when you’re one on one with a Protestant.
Protestant: Well, St Augustine does say in this book…
You: Hahahahahah
Oh? Did you miss the term heretics in his quote? It seems that he took it more seriously than you seem to have noticed.Likewise when he disagrees (or anyone else) it was only just his opinion and it’s no big deal.
All laughing at me aside though, you as well miss my point. Not that Augustine and I agreed on everything, rather that there was diversity without the Church getting all anathema.
Have you actually read all of Augustine’s writings?I’ll repeat myself in the next post where my position is misrepresented.
Has anyone?Have you actually read all of Augustine’s writings
:doh2: sighRight. That’s been my point that has been missed over and over. For a Protestant to say “My interpretation is [X]” and a Catholic to think that’s utter ridiculousness, then to see that great Church Father’s supported said interpretation makes it seem like the Catholics are too rash in their judgements. Or Augustine himself saying to let the reader decide; it’s unfair to the Protestant/Orthodox person when we do and are criticized.
Doctrines are developed over time. Of course the doctrines we hold to today are a result of the process of deciding upon them!I don’t believe (and I don’t think you do either) that the Early Church was the same in its doctrines as the Roman Catholic Church now.
Right! And of course if Augustine held two (not necessarily conflicting) views, and even if he preferred the less standard one himself, I doubt he’d be happy that people agreed with him on that one while denying the other interpretation, especially after it had been developed as a doctrine.Doctrines are developed over time. Of course the doctrines we hold to today are a result of the process of deciding upon them!
Normal,This was only part of his large argument…here is another part which adresses even more…including Galatians:
‘‘Protestants nag on Catholics because they have a habit of taking Galatians 1:8 out of context and they completely ignore Romans 10:9.’’
So,can you refute these claims as well?
Well saidNormal,
You have to consider the verse that says that “Not all who call me Lord, Lord will be saved” with Romans 10:10 which connects says confessing Jesus as Lord with your mouth will save you Don’t grab a single line from scripture and expect to reduce to any single meaning.
By the reasoning your friend provided its just as credible to state that calling Jesus Lord will both save and condemn you. It doesn’t work.
Peace
I am a Catholic revert. I was raised Catholic but defected from the church around 1981 when I ultimately joined the Assembly of God Church. I became a street evangelist and a Sunday school teacher for 10 years. I reverted back to the Church because I took the bible literally. There are so many theological errors in Protestant doctrine that I don’t know where to even begin…I could write a book. Be that as it may, the more I studied scripture the more it became Catholic doctrine for me…until one day, I realized the bible was teaching the Catholic faith and no other doctrine (Galatians 1:6-10).
I have heard all the arguments regarding the primacy of Peter (including this one) and not only did it never sit right with me, but they are intellectually dishonest and just plain non-sense. In John 21:15-17 Jesus was about to ascend into Heaven. All of his disciples were with him at the time when he turned to address Peter and ONLY Peter asking him to feed and care for his sheep 3 times. There is really no room for interpretation here, Jesus was making Peter the head pastor of the universal church.
Moreover to address the argument regarding the eastern churches, they ARE the Catholic Church. They never rejected the primacy of Peter but in 1054 AD under hot dispute over the species used for the Eucharist the eastern patriarchs argued that the primacy of Peter was one of honor and not authority.
The end result was that the eastern patriarchs excommunicated the patriarch of Rome (the pope) and the Pope excommunicated them. They did not try to reconcile until Vatican II. Here is the bottom line, if Protestants are going to make this argument to excuse their schism (and in some cases apostasy) then what is their excuse for not joining the Eastern Orthodox Churches? The answer is because they too are Catholic!
It is simply arguing from both sides of their mouth. The eastern fathers have a valid sacrament and heritage that traces their roots to the apostles. Protestants do not! Therefore, after realizing these things and the bible speaking to my heart, I returned to the Church being fully reinstated June 26 1999. I have never looked back.
It should also be said that it was a great struggle for me. I was not even aware that there was such a thing as a Catholic apologist and came to all these conclusions before I even read any of their books. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a “born again” Christian converting to the Catholic faith! I was very troubled by all this and knew I could not trust my pastor or any evangelical pastor or teacher to confide in. One day I had a dream and in the dream a man approached me and told me to find a local Catholic book store and look for books about Catholic converts. The rest is history.
Pax Cristi,
David Lamb