L
Lutheranteach
Guest
I was at a mens prayer lunch today where a priest in attendance said he’d been approached by the grandparents of a child wishing for the child to be baptized. The mother had left the Catholic Church. The father was agnostic. The priest said he wouldn’t consider such a request unless the parents consented to it.
A lawyer there said no clergy should ever baptize anyone under age 18 without parental consent. To do so, in the strictest legal terms, would be battery and the parents would have a legit legal case. I asked what about a teacher who places a hand on a child who is breaking a rule or even a pat on the back for a job well done. Because of an assumption of in loco parentis a teacher has far more latitude in such matters. A clergy person is not given that assumption.
I found it interesting and thought I would share it.
A lawyer there said no clergy should ever baptize anyone under age 18 without parental consent. To do so, in the strictest legal terms, would be battery and the parents would have a legit legal case. I asked what about a teacher who places a hand on a child who is breaking a rule or even a pat on the back for a job well done. Because of an assumption of in loco parentis a teacher has far more latitude in such matters. A clergy person is not given that assumption.
I found it interesting and thought I would share it.