M
montanaman
Guest
The following is a conversation–not really a debate–on “one flesh,” premarital sex and a valid sacramental marriage. Bottom line: How is premarital sex NOT as binding as a valid marriage? It would be too difficult to explain the context, so I’m reproducing the main points here:
You can find the actual discussion here: thesophiahouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3422#3422
Me:
You can find the actual discussion here: thesophiahouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3422#3422
Me:
And remember that sex before marriage, while having the image of “one body,” in fact isn’t. It’s a lie–not with words but with the body. (See anything on JPII’s Theology of the Body). While it’s sex, it’s still much more akin to mutual stimulation of genitilia than any sort of bond between “partners.”
UBERROGO:In a valid marriage, two bodies become “one flesh.” A bond far greater than that produced by oxytocin is created. Having sex with someone else does not bond you the same way.
Me:Why does baptizm really bestow the Holy Spirit but sex doesn’t really bond the two involved?
Hmm…good question, I think, but I think you’re mixing together a couple of things.
I was talking about how the symbols of the sacraments actually DO the things they signify. In every sacrament, there are three components:
Form: the words used. I.e., I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit…
Matter: the “stuff” involved. In baptism, that’s water.
Minister: who “performs” the sacrament.
In the Sacrament of Matrimony, it’s a little different than you might expect:
Form: The vows–I promise to love you in sickness and in health…etc.
Matter: The man and woman.
Minister: ALSO the man and the woman.
UBERROGO:Premarital sex doesn’t constitute a valid sacrament because it’s missing two elements–the Form (vows) and to some extent, the Minister (the couple isn’t “ministering” the sacrament to each other. It’s just sex).
This is one area I am surprised the Catholics don’t teach literally.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.