Introduction to praying the rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter Thepeug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thepeug

I’m not Catholic, but I’ve heard that many non-Catholics pray the rosary, and I’d like to start doing it as well. It appeals to me as a form of meditative prayer in which I can really focus on God, as well as a means by which I can develop a closer relationship with Mary and the saints. Unfortunately, I don’t know the first thing about how to pray the rosary. Is there some kind of book or online guide from which I can learn the prayers? Do different people say different sets of prayers? Do you have to use actual rosary beads every time you pray? If so, where can I get some? Do they have to be blessed or approved by a priest? Any help is appreciated!

God bless,

Chris

May I suggest this Virtual Rosary.

It is immensely helpful to read along and help you contemplate on each mystery.

There are also Rosary CD’s you can buy. Pop those in while driving or maybe before you go to bed.

Here is a book from C.A that could get you started and on your way.
The Rosary

There are a number of online stores you could try for books such as St. Patrick’s Guild and The Catholic Company.

Having a rosary will help you to keep track of where you are at during each decade as opposed to counting on your fingers or anything else.

Having it blessed is also nice because doing this sets it aside specifically for religious use. You don’t necessarily have to but it would be a good idea. Doing this makes it a sacramental.

It will take you time to learn to pray the rosary. Sometimes you may find yourself distracted while meditating. If you do, don’t worry. This is a common occurence. Just remember to focus and be in the moment of each mystery. Place yourself in the situation as if you were a fly on the wall watching the joyful moment when the Archangel Gabriel came to our Blessed Mother announcing she would be the mother of our Lord. Imagine seeing her joy and wonders of what she could be experiencing.

The same could be said for watching the horrors of the sorrowful mysteries and what was done to our Lord :crying: :crying:
Think of what He did for all of us. Often times these mysteries are difficult for me to get through but it helps me to have a greater understanding of what He went through and what our Blessed Mother was feeling watching her only Son.

Good luck :blessyou:

I think the most important thing is to use a simple guide, get an inexpensive rosary (they can cost as little as 50 cents) and then jump right in. Don’t worry about messing up. Just try to get the hang of meditating on the mysteries with your heart and mind while saying the prayers with your lips. That’s the tricky part.

And don’t get frustrated with yourself if your mind wanders. If it does, just redirect your attention, and don’t give up!

God bless,
Iguana

Angelica,

Thank you so much for your help! You mentioned CD’s and books about the rosary; I just receieved a bookstore gift certificate for my birthday, so I’ll see what I can find. I would download the virtual rosary, my my computer is incredibly slow!

God bless,

Chris

Another thing - try to not focus on the prayers themselves (the Hail Marys and Our Fathers) Try instead to meditate on the mysteries presented in whatever book you may use. For instance, in the Sorrowful Mysteries, focus on the internal suffering of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, how terrified he was, not only in the pain he knew he would have to endure, but in the possibilities that his suffering - worse than any human ever, would not make a difference at all. Focus on what happens during the mystery. The miraculous portion of the mystery is what you may unlock while you pray and focus.

Good luck, and God bless.

Iguana and Trinatem,

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement. I went to the bookstore today and couldn’t find any particularly straightforward books on rosary prayer. All of them gave a history of the prayers, but never listed the actual prayers themselves. I’ll look online and see what I can find. One other thing: can you buy rosary beads at a church? I’m going to Mass tomorrow, so I’ll see if I can get some there.

God bless,

Chris

I’m not sure if you can get rosary beads at a church, they used to give them out for free. If you go to any Catholic book store (some are independent from the Church and some are connected to the Church), you’ll find numerous ones. You can also order them online.

As far as rosary books, look for the small ones - little pamplets with brief descriptions. Those are the best (most simple) to help you get started. My favorite is .99, a little blue rosary book with all the prayers and descriptions on how to say the rosary. I’ll see if it has a contact number so you can order one.

I am truly happy for you. What an exciting journey you’ve begun!

Through the rosary with Fra Angelico was a particularly useful guide for me when I first began. Here is a link to order online

albahouse.org/Angelico.htm

I got mine at a Catholic bookstore.

This is a really practical help.

The virtual rosary program is also very good!

God Bless,
Iguana

After looking at the EWTN link, I’m confused about what the “Mysteries” are. I thought they were prayers, but are they actually events that one is supposed to think about and meditate on while reciting “Our Father’s,” “Hail Mary’s,” and “Glory Be’s?” If so, are you supposed to read about each mystery while you’re praying? Also, what is a decade? I apologize if these seem like stupid questions, but I’m just confused. Thanks for all the help!

God bless,

Chris

40.png
Thepeug:
After looking at the EWTN link, I’m confused about what the “Mysteries” are. I thought they were prayers, but are they actually events that one is supposed to think about and meditate on while reciting “Our Father’s,” “Hail Mary’s,” and “Glory Be’s?” If so, are you supposed to read about each mystery while you’re praying?
Usually, you would state the mystery before you said the Our Father. Many books, like the one I refered to above, hove a meditation on the mystery that helps you to think about the mystery.

For example :

The Baptism of the Lord (1st Luminous Mystery)

Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and the Spirit of God descended on Him like a Dove.

Then you would say 10 hail Marys (a decade), while contemplating the Baptism of the Lord.

Followed by a “Glory Be”

Then you might say the Fatima Prayer :
“O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of your mercy.”

Then you would say the Second Mystery.

And while contemplating that mystery, say the 10 Hail Marys…

and continue in this manner for the entire rosary, 5 decades.

I encourage you to either download the Virtual Rosary, a good way to start, or get a book like “Through the Rosary with Fra Angelico” to help you as you start.

There are many ways to say the Rosary and many meditations written on it. It helps to use a guide until you feel comfortable. Then once you are comfortable, you can use your own meditations or explore new ones.

Here’s a link to another book by St. Josemaria Escriva

escrivaworks.org/book/

All of the meditations are online. You can also purchase this book to use.

Hope this helps…

Iguana

Ok, that makes more sense now. I was able to download the virtual rosary, so I’ll start off using that until I can memorize the basic prayers and Mysteries. Thanks for the help!

God bless,

Chris

Also remember that the rosary isn’t vain repetition. It’s a wonderful prayer most especially if you meditate on the actions of Christ. With each “Hail Mary” within a decade of each mystery, it would be good to keep in mind what Christ did. If this is done, the repetitions aren’t vain.

From what I understand, the repetitions allow the individual to enter a state of meditation by which one can then focus on the mysteries in devout contemplation. So you’re supposed to focus more on the events than the actual prayers. Is this accurate?

In Christ,

Chris

40.png
Thepeug:
From what I understand, the repetitions allow the individual to enter a state of meditation by which one can then focus on the mysteries in devout contemplation. So you’re supposed to focus more on the events than the actual prayers. Is this accurate?

In Christ,

Chris
You’re on the way. Go to the EWTN website and look in their catalogue. I was at the actual store today and bought a scriptual rosary book. This book gives you Bible verses to read between each Hail Mary. It makes for a longer rosary, but meditation is a little easier because you see the words of scripture. There are also tons of smaller things on praying the Rosary. I know several non Catholics who pray it, and most of them started with just the Sorrowful mysteries, though the Luminous would be a good place to start, too. CAll a local Catholic church and they may have some literature to send you

I love praying the Rosary. You will get the hang of the meditation part, and that is a great place to begin contemplative prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back