Invalid Blessings?

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRiteTeen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RomanRiteTeen

Can an item be invalidly blessed? At one parish that I used to attend I would have a few religious articles blessed. The priest made up a different prayer each time and would occasionally use Holy Water.

The reason I ask if because of this particular parishes reputation for not doing things correctly. It had me a bit worried. 🙂

Blessings will vary according to the sacramental presented for the blessings. Priests or deacons may refer to a book called the Book of blessings, but they are not restricted to this book for the blessing. Blessing with holy water is a plus, but not necessary as long as the priest/deacon blesses in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We aren’t blessed with water at the end of mass during the final blessing, but we surely are blessed. Don’t worry about this issue. Peace I say to says the Lord.

Try the following links-
kensmen.com/catholic/water.html I think this is a great page. But I have not checked the whole site. The info on holy water is good.
Personally, I think the priest should stick to the formula prescribed by the Church for blessings. But it can still be valid. Long live tradition.

Hi,

I would think that if a Priest blessed it, it is blessed, but if you have some doubt, just have it blessed again. I don’t think there would be any rule against that, expecially if you are questioning the original blessing.

PS Does anyone know if the actual words “in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit” are required, or if the Sign of the Cross over the object is sufficient.

40.png
Mysty101:
PS Does anyone know if the actual words “in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit” are required, or if the Sign of the Cross over the object is sufficient.
I have seen it done both ways. The priest or deacon can be saying the words 'In the Name Etc, but not out loud. I enjoy making personal blessings. I like to find out a little about the item and what the person is praying for, if they are willing to share. Then I make the blessing especially for them. When a blessing is done in my case as a deacon, this is because at ordination, the bishop, due to apostolic succession, calls down the Holy Spirit upon the candidate. Because of this, the deacon has the faculties to pass this blessing on to people and objects. The deacon is ordained directly to the service of the bishop. In the case of a priest, the bishop and all of the priests take turns calling down the Holy Spirit, because they are all part of the clerical priesthood of Christ. All lay folks are part of the spiritual priesthood of Christ. When Holy Water is available it is extra special, because it in itself is a sacramental.

God Bless,
Deacon Tony

…What if neither the sign of the cross or the Trinitarian Formula were used?

I believe it still would be valid if the priest had the intention to bless it. He also gets his faculties from the the bishop. Thus, he has the blessing to pass on to you or your Holy item.

Deacon Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back