Invent a Scapular?

• Thread starter Thread starter St.Curious
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St.Curious

Do Scapulars have to be handed down by Christ, Mary, or a Saint? Couldn’t a devout Catholic create one in honor of a particular devotion and circulate it, working to get the nod from Rome that it is acceptable?

The scapular in its original sense forms a part of the habit of many monastic orders. Other orders and numerous religious congregations (both male and female) have also adopted the scapular from the monastic orders. It is usually worn over the habit or cassock.

Reduced versions of these scapulars are worn by lay persons with a certain degree of connection to the spirituality of a certain religious order. These are typically worn under the clothing. By far the most common scapular is the Brown Scapular of Mount Carmel.

Two of the most well-known scapulars, the Brown, Blue, and Green scapulars, came from Blessed Mother. Other scapulars such as, The Scapular of the Most Blessed Trinity, were sanctioned by popes.

I haven’t heard of a scapular created by a lay person, and blessed by a pope. To the best of my knowledge, scapulars come from or connected to a religious order.

There are many Scapulars approved by the Church, but the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is the most known.

If you wanted to wear a Scapular as a devoution to a particular Saint, I have seen the Brown Scapular with different Saints on, but it is still the Brown Scapular.

40.png
paulCT:
The scapular in its original sense forms a part of the habit of many monastic orders. Other orders and numerous religious congregations (both male and female) have also adopted the scapular from the monastic orders. It is usually worn over the habit or cassock.

Reduced versions of these scapulars are worn by lay persons with a certain degree of connection to the spirituality of a certain religious order. These are typically worn under the clothing. By far the most common scapular is the Brown Scapular of Mount Carmel.

Two of the most well-known scapulars, the Brown, Blue, and Green scapulars, came from Blessed Mother. Other scapulars such as, The Scapular of the Most Blessed Trinity, were sanctioned by popes.

I haven’t heard of a scapular created by a lay person, and blessed by a pope. To the best of my knowledge, scapulars come from or connected to a religious order.
The black also came from Mary. The white came from an angel. The blue actualy came from Jesus as did the red.
kensmen.com/catholic/scapulars.html

If I’m not mistaken, only the red and white have a required image. I’ve seen brown ones with various images including various saints. So for example, you could make a brown one with the Divine Mercy image and that would be fine.

The black also came from Mary. The white came from an angel. The blue actualy came from Jesus as did the red.
I know of them as well. I just didn’t want to get too long winded, since we were talking about a lay person vs. Mary, Jesus, and Saints.

I’m not much into spaculars. I prefer the Miraculous Medal and the St. Benedict medal.

Actually, the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel shouldn’t have any image on it. It is the habit of the Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, not just an ordinary sacramental. If people want to honor a saint they should get a medal not put images on their brown scapulars. Just fyi, folks. 😉

Della, TOC
Lay Order Carmelite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back