Irish Catholic Saint For 5 April

• Thread starter Thread starter dcmac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dcmac

Becan (d. 6th century), One of the “Twelve Apostles of Ireland,” a relative of St. Columba. Becan founded a monastery at Killbeggan, County Westmeath, Ireland, which in time became a Cistercian Abbey. The parish in Imleach-Beccain, in Meath, was named after him.

Feast day: April 5.

Pray for us.

dcmac said:
Becan (d. 6th century), One of the “Twelve Apostles of Ireland,” a relative of St. Columba. Becan founded a monastery at Killbeggan, County Westmeath, Ireland, which in time became a Cistercian Abbey. The parish in Imleach-Beccain, in Meath, was named after him.

Feast day: April 5.

Pray for us.

Ah, and who are the Twelve Apostles of Ireland? 😃 Here’s my list, but it lacks Saint Becan. I suppose we could pop him in and he could be number 15 of the Twelve Apostles 🙂

Twelve Apostles of Ireland:
  1. Brendan of Birr (November 29)
  2. Brendan the Voyager (May 16)
  3. Cainnech (October 11)
  4. Ciaran of Clommacnois (September 9)
  5. Columba of Iona (June 9)
  6. Columba of Terryglass (December 12)
  7. Comgall of Bangor (May 11)
  8. Finian of Moville (September 10)
  9. Kieran of Saigher (March 5)
  10. Mobhi (October 12)
  11. Molaise (Laserian) of Devendish (August 12)
  12. Ninidh of Inismacsaint (January 18)
  13. Ruadhan of Lothra (April 15)
  14. Sinell of Cleenish (October 12).
You might note that in Ireland 12 does not have to mean 12 and this is a very elastic list with different saints added at different times.

Fr Ambrose said:
  3. Cainnech (October 11)
  10. Mobhi (October 12)
You might note that in Ireland 12 does not have to mean 12 and this is a very elastic list with different saints added at different times.

Donnchadh, Donnchadh, come and protect me. Off list I have been beaten up by the women who want to know why St Brigid isn’t on the list. Ouch, ouch… :eek:

Holy Mother Brigid, pray for us

http://www.sistersofmercy.ie/where/northern/images/icon_naomh.jpg

Thanks for posting this, dcmac! I noticed you posted another one the other day, for St Rufus, and I thought that was really cool, because my dear kitty’s name is Rufus! and I didn’t even know there was an Irish St Rufus!

Do you have a special Irish saints book or something? It was also interesting to read about St Becan tonight, whom I have never heard of either.

Well, I’m Irish-American and I’m always learning new things about my ancestors’ history. Thanks for more!
God bless and slan, a chara!

Geraldine

Fr Ambrose:
Ah, and who are the Twelve Apostles of Ireland? 😃 Here’s my list, but it lacks Saint Becan. I suppose we could pop him in and he could be number 15 of the Twelve Apostles 🙂

3. Cainnech (October 11)
  10. Mobhi (October 12)
JMJ! This is quite a list, and I think I need a lesson in Irish religious history! :irish1:

Athair Ambróis,

LOL! Simply advise them that Naomh Bríd is one of the “Three Patrons of Ireland,” which is a higher honor. And that the twelve were so called for the school(s) (monastic teaching school) they came from, the moment in Irish Church histyory they occupied, and the influence they had on the spiritual life of the Church in Ireland…. thus no offense given… I hope they read this and give you a break… LOL!

Geraldine,

There is a great many Irish saints. I am committed to post each day – by the Grace of God. Athair Ambróis said he has an email list he sends out. I’d check into that for your personal use. However, if you want to dig in to it, as I did, you can do so with either the Our Sunday Visitor’s Catholic Saints Encyclopedia, or Burke’s. I prefer OSV’s personally. There are more than a couple hundred.

So, keep looking here in the spirituality thread for daily posts… there are a few days however where there is no Irish saint… like today, however there are a couple for tomorrow.

A Dhonnchadh, a chara,

You can always fill in the gaps by consulting the Martyrology of Tallaght. Never let it be said that we Irish don’t have the whole year covered 🙂

For example, for 6th April it gives…

St. Herenius Bishop thousands were celibate,
St. Cathub Bishop, St. Cronbecan
Herenius the Bishop, whose thousands are great,
was a fair virginal bush in the vine of the white Lord.

http://www.stmaelruains.ie/monk.gif

The Jesus Prayer in Irish:
A Thiarna Iosa Chriost, Mac De, dean trocaire orm-se peacach

40.png
dcmac:
Geraldine,

There is a great many Irish saints. I am committed to post each day – by the Grace of God. Athair Ambróis said he has an email list he sends out. I’d check into that for your personal use.
Yes indeed. You can read it and/or subscribe to it here…

groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints

Thank you so much, dcmac and Fr Ambrose! I am going to subscribe to your link, too, thank you! Many Irish blessings to you both! :bounce:

Geraldine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back