Irish Catholic Saints For All Of May

• Thread starter Thread starter dcmac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dcmac

· Cellach, Bishop of Killala, Ireland. Feast day: May 1.

· Neachtain of Ireland (5th century), Irish confessor. He was a friend, or possibly a kinsman, of Saint Patrick and was supposedly present when Padraig died. Feast day: May 2.

· Conleth (Conlaed) (d.c. 519), Irish metal worker and hermit. He lived as a recluse at Old Connell on the Liffey, and was a close friend of St. Brigid. In time he served as spiritual director of St. Brigid’s convent at Kildare. A copyist and skilled illuminator of manuscripts, he is noted for the crozier that he fashioned for St. Finbar of Termon Barry. Feast day: May 4.

· Scannal of Cell-Coleraine (d. 563), Disciple of St. Columba (Columcille) and a Irish missionary. Feast day: May 3.

· Gibrian (d.c. 515), Irish priest-hermit who led his four brothers and three sisters to Brittany, France, to become recluses. They lived at the junction of the Marne and Coale Rivers. All are revered as saints. They are: Abran (Gibrian), Franca, Germanus, Helan, Petran, Possenna, Promtia, and Tressan. Feast day: May 8.

· Catald of Ireland (Cataldus) (d. 7th century), Bishop of Taranto, in Southern Italy, and Irish churchman. He was born in Munster, Ireland, and became a student and then head master of Lismore, the monastic school in his home region. On his return from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, he was elected to the see of Taranto. He is patron saint of Taranto. Feast day: May 10.

· Odrian (c. 5th century), One of the first bishops of Waterford, Ireland. Waterford was part of an ancient deanery system at the time, ruled by abbot-bishops. Odrian was a prelate. Feast day: May 8.

· Comgall (d. 601), Abbot-bishop and teacher of St. Columbanus and the monks who evangelized Europe France and Central Europe. He was born in 516 in Ulster, Ireland, and studied under St. Fintan at Cluain Eidnech Monastery. After living under a harsh rule as a hermit, Comgall founded a monastery in Bangor, Ireland. He was abbot for eight thousand monks. Comgall also accompanied St. Columba on a mission to Inverness, Scotland, and founded a monastery at Heth. He died at Bangor Monastery. Feast day: May 10.

· Diomma (d. 5th century), Patron saint of Kildimo, County Limerick, Ireland. He taught St. Declan of Ardmore and other Irish evangelists. Feast day: May 12.

** Cont Post **

· Carthach the Younger (Carthage, Cuda, Mochuda) (d.c. 637), Irish hermit and bishop. Originally a swineherd, Carthach was ordained and then became a hermit about 590 in Kiltulagh and then in Bangor, under St. Comgall. Carthach traveled to Offaly, where he founded a monastery, ruling more than eight hundred monks. He wrote a rule for the monastery in metrical verse, a document that is extant. He is believed to have served as the bishop of Fircall until he and his monks were expelled by some local lord. Carthach founded another monastery at Lismore on the banks of the Blackwater, and lived in a nearby cave. He died on May 14. Feast day: May 15.

· Colmán (Colman Mc O’Laoighse, Columban, Columbanus) (d. 6th century), Disciple of Sts. Columba and Fintan, and the founder and abbot of Oughaval Monastery, Ireland. Feast day: May 15.

· Breandán (Brendan) the Navigator (d. 575 or c. 583), called “the Voyager” or “the Navigator,” one of the most famous saints of Ireland. This son of Findlugh was born on Fenit Peninsula, near Tralee in County Kerry circa 485. As an infant he was trained by St. Ita and then sent to St. Jarloth’s monastic school in Tuam. He was a disciple of St. Finian and Sat. Gildas and was ordained in 512. Brendan founded many monasteries in Ireland, the most renowned being Clonfert, started about 559, which became the center of missionary activities. Clonfert had three thousand monks. Brendan made missionary journeys in Ireland,. England, and Scotland. His fame rests in his voyages, one which lasted seven years described in Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis. It is now believed that Brendan and his companions reached North America, which he called the “land of Promise,” known then as the “Isles of the Blessed.” Brendan is patron of sailors as the result of his adventures. He is believed to have died while visiting his sister, Brig, an abbess at Annaghdown (Enach Duin). Feast day: May 16.

· Barrfoin (d. 6th century), Irish missionary, possibly a bishop, and friend of Sts. Columba and Brendan. He took charge of a church founded by St. Columba in Drum Cullen, Offaly. He lived at Killbarrin, County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland. He also journeyed to spread the faith. Barrfoin repeated his adventures on a voyage to the Americas to St. Brendan the Navigator. Feast day: May 21.

· Conall (d.c. 648), Abbot of Inniscoel Monastery in County Donegal, Ireland. A holy well there is named after St. Conall. Feast day: May 22.

· Goban (Gobhnena) (d. 6th or 7th century), He is believed to be the Goban mentioned in the life of St. Laserian. Giban served as abbot at Old Leighlin Monastery, in Tascaffin, County Limerick, Ireland. Feast day: May 23.

· Becan (d. 6th century), Irish hermit in County Cork, Ireland. He lived in the time of St. Columba and was known for his sanctity. Feast day: May 26.

Pray for us.

(Blue = Still nationally observed by the Diocese of Ireland.)

Dear DCMAC

Thank you again for your beautiful threads on the Irish Saints.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
Brendan:
Go raibh maith agat Donnchadh!
And here’s another nice icon of Saint Brendan.

holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Icons/Samples/fj_st_brendan.htm

It’s available from the Hermitage of the Holy Cross. This monastery also has icons of Saint Brigid, Saint Dunstan of Canterbury. They are able to undertake commissions if you want a particular icon painted.
Go here to access all their icons
holycross-hermitage.com/
and use the drop-down menu under “Our Products.”

I have this list of suppliers of icons of Celtic Saints. It’s one I use for a Celtic Christianity mailing list.

If anybody knows of more sources I’d be very grateful to hear back from you. Many thanks,
Fr Ambrose​

Icons of Celtic Saints
for the church
or the prayer corner at home

Come and See Icons

comeandseeicons.com/cap02.htm
The link is to an Icon of Saint Brendan from the “Come and See” website.
They also have an icon of Saint Brigid of Kildare, Kevin of Glendalough, and some others.
Many of the iconographers, who can be contacted via the website, are able to paint icons to order.

Hermitage of the Holy Cross

Another icon of Saint Brendan is available from the Hermitage of the Holy Cross.
holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Icons/Samples/fj_st_brendan.htm
This monastery also has icons of Saint Brigid, Saint Dunstan of Canterbury.
They are able to undertake commissions if you want a particular icon painted.
Go here to access all their icons
holycross-hermitage.com/
and use the drop-down menu under “Our Products.”

Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston

They have many icons of Celtic Saints, Patrick, Brigid, Columba, Kevin, Kenneth, etc.
They offer them at very reasonable prices as laminated prints, either mounted on wood or unmounted.
Search around their site and see if they have an icon which you would like
htmadmin.phpwebhosting.com/mounted.htm

Orthodox Images

They offer a large size icon print of Saint Brigid, and maybe others.
orthodoximages.com/patrons.html

Dormition Skete

Icons of Saint Brigit, St Patrick, St Columba
buenavistaco.com/GOC/ds-mtdicon4.html

**Lives of the Celtic Saints ** - by daily e-mail
groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints

Thank you very much Father!

I have book marked those sites.

If you happen, in your web travels, to find an inexpensive source for an icon of St. Kieran of Clonmacnoise, I would greatly appreciate it.

Fantastic. Thank you soooooo much. I’ll be doing a lot of research.

Shannin

40.png
Brendan:
to find an inexpensive source for an icon of St. Kieran of Clonmacnoise, I would greatly appreciate it.
Alas! I am fairly sure that there is none in existence. But you could check with Nicholas and Nina Chapman in the UK. They run a bookshop and keep abreast of all these things.

Website
orthbooks.co.uk

orthbook@aol.com
orthbook @ aol.com

Another place to enquire is the St George Orthodox Information Service in London. They stock a lot of icon reproductions of the Saints of the British Isles.

StGeorgeOIS@aol.com
StGeorgeOIS @ aol.com

I have a good number of icons of the Irish Saints stored on the computer. The larger size ones print out very well. I’d be happy to share.

40.png
dcmac:
You are welcome Teresa. I enjoy this subject very much.
dcmac, my daughter’s name is Kelly (no we are not Irish just loved the name). She’s sad that she does not have a Saint with her name. Do you happen to know of any - first or last name? Maybe you will be our source.

ASOG (sorry for the abbreviation),

Yes. There are several. One name is listed above:

"Cellach, Bishop of Killala, Ireland. Feast day: May 1."

I will also look over the Reformation martyrs list from the Vatican and seek out ones with the last name. I will get back to you with all of it in a bit.

Slán.

Here are some others whose names are roughly Kelly in English.

Cellach (Ceilach, Keilach) (d. 9th century), The Archbishop of Armagh, Ireland and the abbot of Iona, Scotland. He was the founder of the monastery of Kells. Feast day: April 1.

Cellach (Cellach Mac Aedh, Celsus) (d. 1129), The last hereditary archbishop of Armagh, Ireland, who named St. Malachy, his nephew, as his successor when he died on April 1 at Ardpatrick, in Munster. He was a native of Ireland and was possibly a Benedictine of Glastonbury. Cellach taught at Oxford, England, until 1106, when he became archbishop of Armagh at the age of twenty-six, serving there with distinction. Feast day: April 1.

Ceollach (d. 7th century), An Irish bishop of the Mercians or Middle Angles of England. He retired to Iona, Scotland, but died in Ireland. Feast day: Oct. 6.

Thanks dcmc! Is the name Kelly a shortened or altered form of some of the names you have given?

dcmac said:
Here are some others whose names are roughly Kelly in English.A Dhonnchadh, a chara!

It turns out that there are 33(!!) Irish Saints with the name of Ceollach and Ceallaeach and other variations of spelling and all of them pronounced, more or less, as Kelly.

From
groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/1697

St. Ceollach (Ceallaeach) of Mercia, Bishop 6 October​

7th century. There are 33 Irish saints by the name Ceollach: This
disciple of Saint Columba (f.d. June 9) was bishop of Mercia or the Middle Angles of England. Having migrated from Iona to Lindisfarne, where Saint Finan (f.d. February 17) consecrated him as the successor to Saint Diuma. Ceollach did not remain long in England. He returned to Iona and died in his homeland.

Fr Ambrose:
A Dhonnchadh, a chara!

It turns out that there are 33(!!) Irish Saints with the name of Ceollach and Ceallaeach and other variations of spelling and all of them pronounced, more or less, as Kelly.

From
groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/1697

St. Ceollach (Ceallaeach) of Mercia, Bishop 6 October​

7th century. There are 33 Irish saints by the name Ceollach: This
disciple of Saint Columba (f.d. June 9) was bishop of Mercia or the Middle Angles of England. Having migrated from Iona to Lindisfarne, where Saint Finan (f.d. February 17) consecrated him as the successor to Saint Diuma. Ceollach did not remain long in England. He returned to Iona and died in his homeland.
Yeah Fr. Ambrose - thanks! I had no idea. I’ll tell my daughter.

ASOG,

Kelly is the anglicization of the name and there are several ways to spell and pronounce it in Gaelic, so yes it is appropriate to assume a connection with one or more of the above.

I haven’t had the time to delve into the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of Reformation Martyrs whose cases have been put forward by their religious houses and the Primatial Diocese of Ireland to the Holy See for investigation. I will try to get to it this weekend to find a martyr for your daughter, but I can’t get to it sooner than that… sorry… and it may be that their last name was not recorded, or may not exist. Either way there are Kellys to use as mentioned above. 🙂

Athair Ambróis, mo chara,

I was unaware of that many. I have a Catholic list of several hundred Irish saints. I am wondering if the list is greater with you our Orthodox brethren?

Of course my main source on this subject is the rather large work done by Our Sunday Visitor (The Catholic Encyclopedia of Saints). So, if there is a difference I would like to know if you know about it.

I suspect it is possible for the encyclopedia to have left out those saints whose causes, or rather cults, were supressed by Pope Paul VI as he did so many other saints.

40.png
dcmac:
Athair Ambróis, mo chara,

I was unaware of that many. I have a Catholic list of several hundred Irish saints. I am wondering if the list is greater with you our Orthodox brethren?
Donnchadh,
Here is one Orthodox list, but they are all mixed in, both Irish and Welsh and Old English Saints.

web.archive.org/web/20030421005324/www.orthodoxireland.com/calendar.htm

That list above is by Calendar date. I can send you an alphabetical list by e-mail if you send me your address. It is a Word.doc.
Of course my main source on this subject is the rather large work done by Our Sunday Visitor (The Catholic Encyclopedia of Saints). So, if there is a difference I would like to know if you know about it.
I suspect there are differences. There was the major reform of the Roman Martyrology in 1969 which suppressed a lot of Saints and also reassigned dates for feastdays.

I don’t know Our Sunday Visitor. Is their list of Saints on the Net?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back