Is cheating on a test that does not affect your grades a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Devoted2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Devoted2

I cheated on a 2-4 of my examinations this year at my university where I am studying law as I was being lazy at the time and did not study enough. At the time of these events I was aware I was being deceptive, I cannot remember if I was truly aware of how sinful this could be? These examinations do not contribute to my degree in any way and as a first year student they were only designed to ensure I progress onto my second year where my degree officially begun. Have I committed a mortal sin? And am I obliged to inform the university that I cheated which could have serious consequences for me as it will severely alter my chances of ever being employed. I wish I had never done these things and will ensure that I do not cheat during my degree. This will also affect family members who have contributed to my University through money they have given me for accommodation and food etc which may now be considered wasted if I admit what I have done to the University as they would likely expel me. Have I committed mortal sins? Must I admit what I have done to the University and risk so much or am I able to repent and move on and earn my degree in an honest way?

Last edited:
I cheated on a 2-4 of my examinations this year at my university where I am studying law as I was being lazy at the time and did not study enough. At the time of these events I was aware I was being deceptive, I cannot remember if I was truly aware of how sinful this could be? These examinations do not contribute to my degree in any way and as a first year student they were only designed to ensure I progress onto my second year where my degree officially begun. Have I committed a mortal sin? And am I obliged to inform the university that I cheated which could have serious consequences for me as it will severely alter my chances of ever being employed. I wish I had never done these things and will ensure that I do not cheat during my degree. This will also affect family members who have contributed to my University through money they have given me for accommodation and food etc which may now be considered wasted if I admit what I have done to the University as they would likely expel me. Have I committed mortal sins? Must I admit what I have done to the University and risk so much or am I able to repent and move on and earn my degree in an honest way?
Cheating is cheating. It is irrelevant if it affects your grades or not.

I cheated on tests before. I can tell you straight up that the guilt you feel isn’t worth it. You’ll always ask yourself if you could have passed it without the cheating. So is it sinful? Yes, but even if it wasn’t, it’s a really bad idea.

Yes, it was sinful; it is like stealing and lying.

Go to Confession.

It is my (amateur layperson) understanding that you do not need to report yourself, but you should do some things to help it not happen again, like maybe join or set up study groups for your classes.

You could also help others with their school work in reparation.

Last edited:
Cheating on your exams is a form of lying/ fraud and is a sin. You need to quit trying to make excuses for yourself about it and just go confess it and not do it again.

Talk to your priest about whether you need to inform your university. He can’t and won’t require you to do that, but he may be able to give guidance.

I can tell you that if you’re studying law in preparation for a bar admission, and you get any sort of lying/ cheating/ plagiarism offense on your record, then it’s possible you may never be able to get admitted to the bar even if you get top grades on every exam. I’ve seen it happen. It’s a bad risky move for a law student to cheat or plagiarize.

Last edited:
Yup. Cheating is cheating. And someone going into law should definitely realize that.

I should think such actions would fall under bearing false witness. Your actions, belie your capabilities/learning.
Of course, you will need to agree that your action was wrong and repent of it, prior to making your confession.

Confess the sin in the confessional. Get absolved and don’t do it, again.

There’s no need to screw up your future by telling the university. That would be foolish. YOU know you did wrong, and you’ve resolved to not do it in the future. I think that’s sufficient as far as any further action is concerned.

If your goal is to become a lawyer, you need to be very strict about ethics and honesty. I think this incident has taught you that lesson.

Study hard and get your degree. The fact that this bothers you is a good sign that you have a solid conscience. Every lawyer needs that.

My take is a bit different. Lying, cheating, etc. can be a slippery slope. Each step “isn’t so bad” and then the next one is a bit worse, and easier to do…and pretty soon you find yourself lying and cheating all the time. Just don’t. Ever. For any reason!

My take is a bit different. Lying, cheating, etc. can be a slippery slope. Each step “isn’t so bad” and then the next one is a bit worse, and easier to do…and pretty soon you find yourself lying and cheating all the time. Just don’t. Ever. For any reason!
This^^^👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back