Is Christianity winning the "battles" for souls?

• Thread starter Thread starter Stylteralmaldo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stylteralmaldo

I wanted to throw this question out to our web community to see what others think about this.

Our prayers have been answered in the past to other evils in the world such as Hitler & communism etc.

However, are these victories over evil societies really victories or are we fooling ourselves into thinking this?

A quick look at Europe is very revealing. Church attendence is down on the “side of rightousness” which went the route of capitalism. Whereas the side of “the evil empire” has higher church attendence (although it didn’t occur until communism fell. I’m sure however that the oppressed kept themselves as holy as they could under the circumstances).

Why do you think capitalism (the supposed “best” system) is ultimately failing to keep God at the center of our lives?

Why do you think capitalism (the supposed “best” system) is ultimately failing to keep God at the center of our lives?
Because capitalism is the only social ideology that places the individual above all else. The highest and most successful members of a capitalist society are the rich. This materialistic view naturally draws people away from a relationship with God.

An excellent book that touches on this topic is The Shattered Lantern by Ronald Rolheiser, OMI. Fr. Rolheiser doesn’t doesn’t address economic issues alone in the book; he cites other causes for the decline of Christianity as well. Highly recommended.

Here is a link to Fr. Rolheiser’s website:

ronrolheiser.com/books1.shtml

Peace to all!

Stylteralmaldo, it could also be that the faithful behind the Iron Curtain were deprived of their spiritual rights for so long that now that the Curtain no longer exists and they are free to worship, they’ve all come racing back to the Church with renewed vigor and zeal. Their deprivation has made them appreciate the Church even more, while we in the free West, secure and maybe even a little smug in our superiority, have never really had our faith tested by being forbidden to worship. Make sense?

The Church had the power of the state to ensure its place in society for hundreds of years. People had no choice. Now that they have a choice, many vote with their feet.

What concerns me about all this newly found freedom is that it seems easier to fall away from God than when they were under communism.

I think Pope John Paul II chasitised his own people (Poland) for falling away from the faith. They had no problem sticking together before. Now that communism fell, it seems more souls are at stake than before.

I have been listening to Evangelical Christian radio for many years, and only recently has Catholic radio become available to me. I am grateful for both, as I know that many people in this world have neither. One of the issues that comes up frequently is the idea of a “post-Christian society.” I am concerned that this is related to our (Christians – Catholic and Protestant, as we are the majority in the US) failure to live our faith. Many have become disillusioned by legalism, racism, selfishness, failure to love those with whom we disagree. We have only to read some of the threads here to see brewing anger that has not been offered up but is instead turned against our own, and to learn of churches which judge instead of help. Many have quoted, “Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary use words.” We certainly need to do both. In American society, nothing will turn away a young person faster than hypocrisy. I am enthralled by the Christians worldwide who endure severe persecution for their faith. I am grateful for my freedom to practice my faith, and ashamed when I am afraid to endure even mild persecution. Catholics are historically the best when it comes to serving via the works of mercy, although many protestants have now seen the importance of service. How do we reach the point where we lead by both word and example?

Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back