Is dailyaudiobible.com safe for Catholics with a weak faith?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bibbit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bibbit

Guest
My pastor is encouraging folks in the parish to use the Daily Audio Bible commentary daily. My worry is that it is not Catholic, and technically it doesn’t go through the whole Bible because it isn’t Catholic. It also does not use Catholic translations. Does anybody here have any experience with it? Article like this, written by the man who reads and comments on the readings don’t give me hope that it’s a good thing. Though I do not mean to imply he isn’t a sincere Christian.
 
I like the article.

I have no problem, personally, with listening to non-Catholic opinions and seeing how those other points of view may even supplement my own, or even help put it into perspective.

Like how do I even know what “my house” looks like, if I’m afraid to step outside now and then and have a look at what others see. And it seems like most of us build our own tiny little “club houses” inside the bigger “Christian” house anyway.

And this guy has some good questions I think.

If you want a Catholic daily commentary, you can go to usccb.org/ and they have daily Mass readings and commentary.

But if you like this particular guy and he speaks to you, why not listen? If you think it’s going to confuse you in some manner of Catholic teaching, I understand being cautious. But I’m one who likes to hear many points of view, even (and sometimes especially) those that someone thinks I should not be paying attention to. 😉
 
I know my faith well. However, after teaching CCD at my parish for over 20 years I know that most in the parish do not know the faith at all. It’s amazing what they don’t know. So my fear is that since this is non-Catholic and it’s the first time for the parishioners listening to commentary, they can very easily be mislead or confused about the faith.
 
I know my faith well. However, after teaching CCD at my parish for over 20 years I know that most in the parish do not know the faith at all. It’s amazing what they don’t know. So my fear is that since this is non-Catholic and it’s the first time for the parishioners listening to commentary, they can very easily be mislead or confused about the faith.
If “anybody” is paying attention, they will object to my referring you to Franciscan Richard Rohr for some ideas that you may find interesting from a man who is definitely Catholic, but some call heretical and new age and worse. If you watch this, you will know why so many don’t like him. He’s said some weird stuff in the past maybe, but he’s helped me and many others a lot.

What Did Jesus Really Teach? - Richard Rohr

MS
 
I know my faith well. However, after teaching CCD at my parish for over 20 years I know that most in the parish do not know the faith at all. It’s amazing what they don’t know. So my fear is that since this is non-Catholic and it’s the first time for the parishioners listening to commentary, they can very easily be mislead or confused about the faith.
Oh, well then I say go for it for yourself, if you like it.

If your concern is for others in the church, then even though I understand your concern and feel your pain when there is risk others have been led astray, let it be for him to decide. You could ask him about specific aspects, like you could say, “is this thing this guy saying about similar to Catholic beliefs? Or do we uiderstandd diffferrently?” If you ask as a pastoral question, and make it personal then it’s about your understanding of Catholicism. This guy may emphasize a point that may b a valid point but maybe not in a “theologically correct” way.

The others’ souls are his business with them. So I’d say other than asking him personally – which if it causes him to rethink it that’s all you can really ask, and then it’s up to him to continue recommending it or not to others. You know enough about Catholicism you can enjoy the view or ignore it, if you have that option. If you’re neutral, you can weigh the value of your time against that of its content. :cool:

Unless it’s really bad. Then I don’t know what to do. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top