Is "Damn" a Sin on Its Own?

  • Thread starter Thread starter QuizBowlNerd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

QuizBowlNerd

Guest
This is a question I’ve never really received a good answer to, and I was surprised that I couldn’t find a thread about it. Is it a mortal sin/taking the Lord’s name in vain to say “damn” without appending God’s name to it? I’ve heard some say it is because God’s name is implied; others say that “damn” exists independently and is relatively harmless on its own. Still others say that without using it in conjunction with God’s name, you’re not asking God to damn something, but rather damning it yourself. From there, it is usually interpreted one of two ways: either that’s a serious sin because you’re presuming to do something only God can do, or it’s not a serious sin because it’s a completely empty threat. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Note to those responding: the automatic system is hiding posts using the Da-- word, so if you don’t want your post to go into an “Awaiting Approval” queue for who knows how long, write your post without the Da-- word.

If you are uttering the Da-- word in anger wanting to actually send someone to Hades (I’m not using the He-- word here either), then it’s a sin because you are wishing something bad on the other person and expressing uncharitable thoughts towards them.

If you are uttering it just as a figure of speech or because you accidentally spilled the soup as you were carrying it to the table, then it’s not a sin.

Has nothing to do with what God can or can’t do and everything to do with your own intention.
 
As I recall, the Baltimore Catechism defines a curse as “calling down evil on a person, place or thing.” So the D word, spoken in anger or exasperation would be a curse. Something I’m often guilty of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top