Is divorce a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter letendre
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

letendre

It seems that the church said in the past it was a sin to divorce. Has that opinion changed in the modern catholic church? I’m a conservative Catholic and don’t want to have a grave sin on my conscience. I want to see God someday. I struggle in my marriage and feel angry and trapped.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:
**2383 **The separation of spouses while maintaining the marriage bond can be legitimate in certain cases provided for by canon law.
If civil divorce remains the only possible way of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of the children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense.
**2384 **Divorce is a grave offense against the natural law. It claims to break the contract, to which the spouses freely consented, to live with each other till death. Divorce does injury to the covenant of salvation, of which sacramental marriage is the sign…
Whether divorce is sinful depends on the circumstances, as noted in Catechism paragraph 2383. In circumstances where divorce is sinful, the other spouse could very well be innocent of any sinful role in the divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back