Is entertainment a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter IlCajetan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IlCajetan

I’ve been thinking about this for a while because of a prayer one of my teachers says in our class, “my God I offer you this day, EVERYTHING I think and do and say…” And it’s been getting to me. I wonder how one can offer EVERYTHING to God, so my questions are: Is it a sin to take pleasure in watching TV, YouTube videos, or listening to music that isn’t related to or for God and how should one manage their time in a Catholic lifestyle, to truly offer God this day?

First thing is be careful with scrupulosity. Here are some verses of the Old Testament that might explain this for you:

Ecclesiastes 3:1 All things have their time, and all things under heaven continue during their interval.
3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die. A time to plant, and a time to pull up what was planted.
3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal. A time to tear down, and a time to build up.
3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh. A time to mourn, and a time to dance.
3:5 A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather. A time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.
3:6 A time to gain, and a time to lose. A time to keep, and a time to cast away.
3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew. A time to be silent, and a time to speak.
3:8 A time of love, and a time of hatred. A time of war, and a time of peace.

In all we should exercise moderation.
Peace!

Eutrapelia is a virtue… moderate recreation, to relax the body and mind, lest they “break” and become harmed… but even this, ideally, should be done because it is the will of God.

The Lord does not expect us all to live like ascetic monks and do nothing at all for pleasure. Furthermore, the Lord gives entertainers their gifts for us to appreciate and enjoy.

I agree the first post is sounding a bit scrupulous.

God rested on the seventh day. And He commanded that we should rest on the seventh day. Therefore if while taking repose you enjoy yourself then you are doing the will of God.

In my morning prayer, it says, “I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day” so yes, we can still enjoy entertainment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back