Is God capable of killing?

• Thread starter Thread starter TheMike0012
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheMike0012

I understand that God can choose not to will the preservation of life for people, but what about cases like the flood, or the killings of the first-born Egyptians?

Yes.
And we humans are capable of killing.
And so are animals.
Amd microorganisms.
And hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, comets, dangerous chemicals, falling down the stairs…

Yes. Not just the capability but the right.

And he has exercised that right in the past, both directly and through human or natural agents.

Last edited:
Sustained life is a gift from God, not something he owes us. To paraphrase Job, the Lord gives and the Lord takes away.

Last edited:
a non-Christian POV:

I think God has the right to kill, but I don’t think he can maliciously kill. He has the right to kill bad persons. But he doesn’t do it maliciously or, perhaps better put, with any merely human “wrath” or vindictiveness. He kills simply because it’s sometimes the necessary thing to do, the thing that must be done out of duty.

I know Catholic and other Christian apologists sometimes say that God does not have human emotions, but when the Bible talks about God being “angry” and “filling the cup of his wrath” and whatnot, it’s hard to imagine what is being described besides some sort of hatred on God’s part. This I part ways with, since anger and judgment seem to be the purview of the human. IF God gets angry it’s only for a good purpose (maintaining order, say), not “an eye for an eye” or simple retribution.

Yes. If he does it is in His Mercy. See the gospel for the story about the married couple lying about the sale proceeds of their house.

Last edited:
God is neither Deus Ex Machina, nor an uncaring, uninvolved First Mover. God is not a killer; however, He does allow nature (which includes free will) to act out the logical consequences of actions and reactions. That is not to say that miracles never happen; but the results of those (and for the moment, we will take the Plagues in Ancient Egypt as miracles for the sake of the discussion) is that people who put themselves “in the way” of those, get the results they have invited.

There have been other threads discussing the Flood and Noah, and I don’t intend to reiterate my comments. Taking a literal word-for-word view of that story may be within the purview of literalists such as within many of the evangelical communities; the Church is not literalist but rather contextualist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back