Is God's Plan Set in Stone?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dina
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dina

What is the Catholic teaching on this? Is God’s plan for our lives set in stone or does/can it change?

Last edited:
What is the Catholic teaching on this? Is God’s plan for our lives set in stone or does/can it change?
Catechism
600 To God, all moments of time are present in their immediacy. When therefore he establishes his eternal plan of “predestination”, he includes in it each person’s free response to his grace: "In this city, in fact, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place."395 For the sake of accomplishing his plan of salvation, God permitted the acts that flowed from their blindness.396

395 Acts 4:27-28; cf. Ps 2:1-2.
396 Cf. Mt 26:54; Jn 18:36; 19:11; Acts 3:17-18.

Is God’s plan for our lives set in stone or does/can it change?
The stone it was set in were handed to Moses on the mount. It was further revealed through the stone rejected by the builders that became the cornerstone (Jesus).

Rejoice in the Lord Always!

God’s plan for us is our salvation. He never changes in wanting this outcome.

How we respond is our free choice.

If you’re asking “Does God want to micromanage our lives down to whether we wear sneakers vs boots today?”, the answer appears to be “no”.

Last edited:
Thank you for this but could you clarify? In simple terms? Basically does God have set in stone if you are to marry or not marry, if you are to get X illness or not, if you are to die this way or not, and so forth?

I’m sorry but could you clarify? The question I was trying to get at is does God have a predetermined plan of X should be your vocation, X should be your husband/wife in life, X will be the disease you get and die at X age, etc?

I understand the salvation, and of course not the details… but the general things. For example, He has us here for a purpose, right? So does that mean he has a predetermined plan of vocation, marriage, time of death etc for us?

God’s plan
Catechism
1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions. "God willed that man should be ‘left in the hand of his own counsel,’ so that he might of his own accord seek his Creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him."26
Man is rational and therefore like God; he is created with free will and is master over his acts.27
26 GS 17; Sir 15:14.
27 St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 4,4,3:PG 7/1,983.
GS = Gaudium et spes
PG = J.P. Migne, ed., Patroligia Greaca (Paris, 1867-1866)

I understand the salvation, and of course not the details… but the general things. For example, He has us here for a purpose, right? So does that mean he has a predetermined plan of vocation, marriage, time of death etc for us?
I’m not a philosopher or a theologian, but from what I’ve read (of theology) and observed, I’m skeptical of the idea of a True Soulmate or profession. I think we can live happily and blessedly with any number of different spouses or fulfillment in any different number of professions.
In other words, outside of sliding into a life of relentless mortal sin and damnation, I don’t think you can “blow it” at life.

God knows all things and is outside of time, or not constrained by time. Time is a creation. For us it is pointless to ask
“what does God know and when did God know it”. That’s a mystery.

Our part in this goes as follows:
To listen, pray, discern, respond, follow.
And because we do not do any of these perfectly, there is no small amount of effort, and confusion, and uncertainty at times.

Concern yourself with the human response side of your life, because God surely provides his part in abundance. Embrace the struggle, embrace the mystery, immerse yourself in it. Pat answers are hard to come by easily.

Last edited:
Is God’s plan for our lives set in stone or does/can it change?
Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott,

Fallen man cannot redeem himself. (De fide.)

For every salutary act internal supernatural grace of God (gratia elevans) is absolutely necessary. (De fide.)
308 The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator.
God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes: "For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."171

2022; “The divine initiative in the work of grace precedes, prepares, and elicits the free response of man. …”
There is a supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul, which precedes the free act of the will. (De fide.)

CCCS 1996-1998; This call to eternal life is supernatural, coming TOTALLY from God’s decision and surpassing ALL power of human intellect and will.”

I believe our destiny is IN GOD and God’s WONDERFUL PLAN for our lives set in stone, I also believe:

311 For almighty God, . . . because he is supremely good, would never allow any evil whatsoever to exist in his works if he were not so all-powerful and good as to cause good to emerge from evil itself.177
324 Faith gives us the certainty that God would not permit an evil if he did not cause a good to come from that very evil, by ways that we shall fully know only in eternal life.

Without the special help of God the justified cannot persevere to the end in justification. (De fide.)
301 With creation, God does not abandon his creatures to themselves.
He not only gives them being and existence, but also, and at every moment, upholds and sustains them in being, enables them to act and brings them to their final end. Recognizing this utter dependence with respect to the Creator is a source of wisdom and freedom, of joy and confidence.
God bless

Last edited:
Agreed, except that pat answers are rather easy to come by but are all most likely wrong or incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back