Is immodesty a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter qwerty12345
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qwerty12345

I’m confused, everyone is saying immodesty is a mortal sin, but it does not say that it is in the CCC. Is it in another church document or something?
Thanks! 🙂

Define “the CCC doesn’t say immodesty is a mortal sin”. Because the Catechism does say that:
" 2521 Purity requires modesty , an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity."
Not optional, it’s required for purity. And sins against purity are grave.

Hi, sorry, where does it say that sins against purity are grave? sry if that sounded rude lol

SACRA PROPEDIEM - Pope Benedict XV 1921
“19. From this point of view one cannot sufficiently deplore the blindness of so many women of every age and condition; made foolish by desire to please, they do not see to what a degree the in decency of their clothing shocks every honest man, and offends God. Most of them would formerly have blushed for those toilettes as for a grave fault against Christian modesty; now it does not suffice for them to exhibit them on the public thoroughfares; they do not fear to cross the threshold of the churches, to assist at the Holy sacrifice of the Mass, and even to bear the seducing food of shameful passions to the Eucharistic Table where one receives the heavenly Author of purity. And We speak not of those exotic and barbarous dances recently imported into fashionable circles, one more shocking than the other; one cannot imagine anything more suitable for banishing all the remains of modesty.”

“21. In what concerns specially the Tertiary Sisters, We ask of them by their dress and manner of wearing it, to be models of holy modesty for other ladies and young girls; that they be thoroughly convinced that the best way for them to be of use to the Church and to Society is to labor for the improvement of morals.”

Are you asking this seriously? Why would you think sins against purity are not grave?

No, it’s not stupid to ask. But your “lol” after every post makes people wonder if your questions are genuine.

I’m sorry, I’m just trying to keep things lighthearted
Also, what qualifies as “immodesty”? If I wear my skinny jeans, is that immodest? I’m a dancer, and sometimes the costumes have short skirts. If I wear my leggings to dance, is that immodest?
I struggle with scrupulousity and sometimes I overthink things too

I’m sorry, I’m just trying to keep things lighthearted
Also, what qualifies as “immodesty”? If I wear my skinny jeans, is that immodest? I’m a dancer, and sometimes the costumes have short skirts. If I wear my leggings to dance, is that immodest?
I struggle with scrupulousity and sometimes I overthink things too
Mention scrupulosity and the thread is usually dead.

I know, do you have any advice? (I can’t really talk to a priest or anyone right now bc of coronavirus)

I know, do you have any advice? (I can’t really talk to a priest or anyone right now bc of coronavirus)
Well, there are two aspects:
  • Is there something done, that could be avoided, that would not temp others to be unchaste? If it is intended to lead others into unchastity, then it would be grave matter. If it is not intended to do so, then it may be venial. – Fifth Commandment.
  • Is one excessively showing off physical beauty, that which has no permanence? Vanity is against the virtue of temperance. It is not grave matter to be a little vain.

everyone is saying immodesty is a mortal sin,
This is like saying stupidity is a mortal sin. It doesn’t make any sense. It’s like looking at a red car and concluding that red is a car. Whoever is saying immodesty is a mortal sin, or any kind of sin at all, doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
It’s the kind of habit that reflects on your parents to some extent. Although sometimes the individual may be completely responsible. Anyway, default to a way of behaving and dressing that doesn’t make people question your upbringing. Sometimes decisions are easier when addressed at a really basic way like this, no need to ponder the spiritual dimension (although that’s fine too).

Priests have phones…you can call for advice. Call the parish, say that you have questions for the priest and ask for a call back.

Generally, yes, you should dress modestly. This does not require you look like a pilgrim. This can vary by person.

For example a big busted girl in a strapless dress could show a lot of cleavage and she could be spilling over. Same design on a smaller woman may only draw attention to her shoulders. Short skirt on a thick girl could ride up and show too much. Same style on a stick thin girl may not look immodest.

Generally, don’t show your stuff or wear things that are barely attached or that you look like you could fall out of or that are painted on you.

I have a feeling someone is telling you your clothes are too revealing and you are arguing. If you are bring told that, it is almost certainly true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back