Is it a Sin to Ask for Help?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tina.Kamira
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tina.Kamira

I know this may sound like kind of a silly question, but I was reading up on the virtue of magnanimity lately! and how it’s basically like, believing that you have worth. I forget where I read it, but I heard a Catholic author (I think he was even a Saint) argue that it would be against the virtue of magnanimity to ask others for help. this sounds absurd to me, because usually people who never ask for help are quite proud and egotistical people (in my experience), and also we as Christians are aways called to help each other, but is there anything in church teaching that suggests it would be a sin to ask for help?

No. Why would it be?

Given your posting history, it seems that you are dealing with scrupulosity. You should seek help offline with your priest, as asking questions online will not aid in the formation of your conscience, and will only make matters worse.

-Fr ACEGC

Think of all the people who ask for help. You wouldn’t want to convict them of sin because they ask for help right? I mean this is common sense.

Im sure it means dont lean on people to get them to do things for you you can do yourself and that you should do yourself. or dont let yourself do what others tell you to do, but decide for yourself through reason and free will.

No, that’s absurd. God has created us to love and serve each other in interdependence.
Please post sources and don’t rely on hearsay.

I have only recently (I am 53) really opening up to asking for help. It doesn’t necessarily mean that I didn’t before out of pride. In my family, we just didn’t ask for help. Asking for prayers is a good “asking for help.” Asking for advice too. Asking for someone to “hold my beer” 😉 while I do something dangerous, isn’t a good thing. (I don’t drink beer anyway. No longer rootbeer either lol).

When each of us were infants or children we had a lot of help–and we didn’t ask for it. So, the reason of why we’re asking for help is important. God didn’t design any of us to be autonomous.

I’d look magnanimity up in a dictionary. I don’t at all think it means someone who doesn’t ask for help. I think it’s someone big-hearted and generous. But even someone like that will need help from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back