Is it a sin to have fun?

• Thread starter Thread starter Pathway2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pathway2

Now not by having fun such adultery and drunkenness, but doing sport like football and scrabble or video games. Is it wrong for a christian to have that kind of fun? I remember when I was young someone told me to prove that christian, using a psalm I believe, couldn’t have fun.

Last edited:
Not it’s not a sin.

Reminds me of the old joke that a Puritan is someone who sits around all day worried that somebody somewhere is actually - gasp! - having fun.

My brother used to live in Geauga County, Ohio, which has a large Amish population. When I visited him, I would see the Amish doing things like, you know, playing sports. If the Amish (who are notoriously strict) are doing it, I don’t see a problem with it.

Now not by having fun such adultery and drunkenness, but doing sport like football and scrabble or video games. Is it wrong for a christian to have that kind of fun? I remember when I was young someone told me to prove that christian, using a psalm I believe, couldn’t have fun.
No, of course not, as long as you’re not neglecting other things. Like, if I didn’t show up at work because I wanted to lay on the beach all day instead.

But, in moderation? Of course. You think we’re obligated to be joyless robots?

Now not by having fun such adultery and drunkenness, but doing sport like football and scrabble or video games. Is it wrong for a christian to have that kind of fun?
Psalm 16: 11.
You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

God approves of fun. 🙂

Which saint was it who said “God save us from sour-faced saints?”

Therese of Liseaux?

Whenever I have fun I always get punished. Maybe it is just me but I feel I am not allowed to have fun in this world. It has taken a few decades to realise this but I am 100% sure of this now. For me at least any kind of fun appears to be a sin…

Last edited:
Playing sports is competitive and that can introduce sinful nature in us so it must be done with care.

Yes. My family has literally dozens of Amish friends. Any big family event at home is not really underway until the Amish families arrive!

It is desirable to have healthy fun.
St. Therese of Lisieux playing the role of Joan of Arc
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Isn’t she great?

I remember years ago i was at a party and a friend of mine said something like
“Do you feel bad when you do something that feels good?”
I replied
“I don’t feel bad when I’m petting a puppy” or something like that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back