Is it bad to wear the Rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter D_Quintero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D_Quintero

Are these things bad in any way?
On Ash Wednesday, I want to get the ashes just before school. To see what kind of day I would have. Is that bad?
Is it bad to wear the Rosary? A lot of people in my old school had the Rosary around their neck, but I think it was just because of their Heritage. Is it bad to wear one? Thank you.
D

I wear a Rosary bracelet that I made myself. It’s on memory wire like the one my mom got from her parents when she graduated from Catholic HS just before she entered the convent. As evidenced by the fact that I’m here to write this, she didn’t get through her apostolate before the Mother Superior suggested that she might have another calling. Smart Mother Superior, my 5 siblings and I are glad she sent mom packing! 🙂

CARose

I keep a rosary with me and usually wear a faith bracelet…I think it all depends on what your intent is. I also try to recieve the ashes right before school because it is a major part of my faith that I am proud to profess openly…but it should not be about showing it off, starting a potential argument, or just because you think it’s pretty. Everything should be done in God’s glory…so ask yourself, are you wearing it for God’s glory, or your own? If it’s for Him, then it’s perfectly fine:)

As far as I have been told, the rosary is not a piece of jewelry. It is prayer beads. It is supposed to be kept in your pocket, safe. This is just what I have been told

vicia3:
As far as I have been told, the rosary is not a piece of jewelry. It is prayer beads. It is supposed to be kept in your pocket, safe. This is just what I have been told
In one of her apparitions, the Blessed Virigin Mary said to pray the rosary often and even wearing it around our necks.

vicia3:
I have actually had the opposite experience, I have had several religious tell me to absolutely not put a rosary in my pocket, as it could become tangled, snagged, or even break

I wear one from my belt loop. It’s always on hand, and leads to good conversations with non-Catholics.

Plus, I figure it’s in the monastic tradition, so why not?

God bless.

+Joel

I have a leather case I use when I’m carrying my rosary in my pocket. I think if you are going to wear something around your neck as a sign of your dedication to Our Lady, wear a scapular and/or Miraculous Medal, not a rosary.
Pray it, don’t wear it.

I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t stand it when various celbrities (esecially Britney Spears) wear them as a fashion statement. Ugh.

Since members of the Rosary Confraternity who wear the rosary gain an indulgence, I don’t know why anybody would think it is wrong, unless they are speaking of those who wear it as a fashion statement…but even then, who knows? The Lord works in mysterious ways.

But for Grace:
I have actually had the opposite experience, I have had several religious tell me to absolutely not put a rosary in my pocket, as it could become tangled, snagged, or even break
That is why it is kept in a case.

40.png
Genesis315:
I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t stand it when various celbrities (esecially Britney Spears) wear them as a fashion statement. Ugh.
Britney Spears, really? I thought she was into kabbalah…oh well, you can’t give her too much credit for brains.

If you wear the Rosary as a piece of jewelry it is bad, if you use it it is not.

vicia3:
As far as I have been told, the rosary is not a piece of jewelry.
This is what I have always been taught as well. I am always leary when I see someone wearing a rosary because, at least in the context I’ve seen it, it seems like more of a fashion statement than a devotional. I do realize that that is just from my limited exposure to the practice.

Sir Knight:
In one of her apparitions, the Blessed Virigin Mary said to pray the rosary often and even wearing it around our necks.
Which apparation?

I agree that rosaries are not jewelry. I keep mine in my purse (in a case so it doesn’t get damaged).

However, I also understand that wearing a rosary is a BIG thing in Hispanic (especially Mexican) Catholics - similar in nature to how many Hispanics make the sign of the Cross with a cross formed by their thumb and index finger and kiss it afterwards (which, in my understanding, is also not proper in form).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back