Is It Okay For A Baptist To Pray The Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter skyjoy00
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skyjoy00

Hi, I’m a Baptist and I had no knowledge of what a rosary was until recently and after doing some research I ended up buying one and started to pray on it everyday. I’m worried that it might be wrong to do so if I’m not a Catholic. I wanted one so it would remind me to pray everyday and keep Jesus in my thoughts throughout the day. I would also like to know how to get it blessed if possible. Looking forward to some advice!

It’s never wrong to pray the Rosary.
I do recommend you do some reading to understand the Rosary better.

Yes, it’s fine to pray the rosary, even if you’re not Catholic. It’s a good way to connect with Jesus and his mother. And, as you pointed out, it adds a little structure to your prayer life. You can ask any Catholic priest to bless it for you. I’m sure he’d be happy to do it and to answer any questions you might have about the rosary or about what Catholics believe.

Hi, I’m a Baptist and I had no knowledge of what a rosary was until recently and after doing some research I ended up buying one and started to pray on it everyday. I’m worried that it might be wrong to do so if I’m not a Catholic. I wanted one so it would remind me to pray everyday and keep Jesus in my thoughts throughout the day. I would also like to know how to get it blessed if possible. Looking forward to some advice!
Yes, it is perfectly acceptable as well as praiseworthy to pray the Rosary, regardless if one is Catholic or not. You can ask a priest or deacon at a parish to have an item blessed and they will bless it. They do this for people frequently.

Peace.

Last edited:
As a Baptist you might have an easier time with the Holy Face chaplet, the Holy Trinity chaplet or even the Divine Mercy chaplet…

Last edited:
I used a booklet when I started praying the Rosary. It has different ways to do it to add variety and some basic explanations that I found enriching. You can find on Amazon by ISBN: ISBN: 978-0899420523

Last edited:
Us Catholics have no problem with you praying the Roaary. If you wish to have it blessed, you can approach a Catholic priest after Mass or you can ask a Catholic friend to have it blessed for you. Just be aware that if it is blessed, you need to treat it reverently and if you don’t want it any more, you can’t just throw it away. You’d have to give it to a Catholic, leave it in a church, or bury it in a holy spot.

Evangelical Pastor Rick Warren (known for his Purpose Driven Life book, etc.) has publicly stated before that he has and uses a rosary; granted, he doesn’t pray it exactly as we Catholics would but rather does the Divine Mercy Chaplet (a different Catholic devotion) with it, at least per what I’ve read.

Last edited:
Of course you can pray the rosary! Mary is your mother too!
Any priest should be happy to bless it and answer any questions… Maybe call the Church closest to you and ask when Father would be available to bless a rosary.

There is nothing wrong with you praying the Rosary! I think it is wonderful that you find that it enhances your spiritual life.

(It is not like Receiving Holy Communion in a Catholic Church, which is something that you could only do if you were to go through the conversion process)

Wonderful!!! As others have said, it’s great that you pray the rosary. But beware, if you continue, you.might become a Catholic pretty soon 🙂

From a Catholic perspective there is absolutely no reason for you not to pray the Rosary. I would encourage you to do it.

Any Catholic priest would be happy to bless the Rosary for you. After it has been blessed you must treat it appropriately and never simply discard it.

It may be your own church, Baptists, that may have a problem with you doing what they may see as a Catholic devotion. You would probably know about this better than me.

It may be your own church, Baptists, that may have a problem with you doing what they may see as a Catholic devotion. You would probably know about this better than me.
I came on here to say exactly that, from my experience in the ecumenical field. The Baptists local to my parish would not attend our Children’s Way of the Cross one Good Friday as a combined ecumenical event, as it contained one (and just one) Hail Mary.

Thank you for all your support, I appreciate it and my family says that it’s okay for me to pray the rosary as long as I understand what it’s for and that my reasons are to glorify God and to praise Him for all that He has given me. God bless!

You love your mother. Our Lord loves His mother. Imagine how happy He feels to see you utilise her most Holy Rosary in order to become closer to Him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back