Is it okay to let HOLY WATER freeze?

• Thread starter Thread starter spiritblows
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spiritblows

I have a small retreat that I created for myself in an little outbuilding on my property. I decided to keep a holy water font there. The thing is, I don’t want to heat this all the time, but if I don’t, the holy water will freeze. What’s the rule about that? Can I let it freeze sometimes?

How about keeping the holy water in the house and only taking it out to your outbuilding when you are going to use it? Then you won’t have to worry about it. 😉

40.png
Della:
How about keeping the holy water in the house and only taking it out to your outbuilding when you are going to use it? Then you won’t have to worry about it. 😉
Great idea, Della!👍

40.png
spiritblows:
I have a small retreat that I created for myself in an little outbuilding on my property. I decided to keep a holy water font there. The thing is, I don’t want to heat this all the time, but if I don’t, the holy water will freeze. What’s the rule about that? Can I let it freeze sometimes?
In this situation, there is absolutely no problem with the holy water freezing…

40.png
AltarMan:
In this situation, there is absolutely no problem with the holy water freezing…
That’s the thing, it seems wasteful to heat a whole little building just to keep a little holy water from freezing. If I plan a little prayer time out there, I’ll go ahead of time and turn on a space heater. I have one of those oil filled ones. I imagine, in olden times holy water must’ve frozen frequently, before they heated churches.

spiritblows said:
That’s the thing, it seems wasteful to heat a whole little building just to keep a little holy water from freezing. If I plan a little prayer time out there, I’ll go ahead of time and turn on a space heater. I have one of those oil filled ones. I imagine, in olden times holy water must’ve frozen frequently, before they heated churches.

Correct.

Of course you could always get one of those electrical things you set your coffee cup on (or one of those elements that goes IN a coffee cup) to keep your holy water nice and toasty…

There is no problem in the holy water freezing. It is still what it is - blessed.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not going to worry if my holy water freezes, it sounds like it’s a non-issue.

40.png
spiritblows:
Well don’t try boiling it, 🙂 heres a place and the story goes that a Protestant couple brought some home to boil as everywhere else was froze up, apart from the well.

The story goes that the blessed water just wouldn’t boil, so they eventually threw it out, strange but true as they say in Ripleys.

finnvalley.ie/places/doon/well.html#top

When I was a kid, the holy water at our church frequently froze (probably still does). This was not such a bad thing, as you could only touch your fingers to it, not actually dip your fingers into icy water.

40.png
spiritblows:
Depending on the size of your holy water font, you could always add a few shots of a good irish whiskey like Jamesons or Bushmills to the holy water to keep it from freezing…

:irish2:

I’ve heard of irishing up your coffee… But irishing up your holy water :eek:

😛

probably,yeah. 🙂
reminds me of a classmate i had in first grade that says you can drink holy water. 😃

Hmm, this makes me think of another question…

Obviously, you couldn’t take a different liquid (pure mercury, say), bless it, and call it holy water. But how pure does ‘water’ have to be before you can bless it and have it as holy water? Does it have to be distilled water? Is tap purity good enough? What about, worse than tap purity (eg, the ‘water’ in the Parramatta river)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back