Is it okay to not confess a mortal sin at your first opportunity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BaconDinosaur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BaconDinosaur

Guest
I need to confess a mortal sin, but I’m feeling a little uncomfortable in this particular instance about going to my regular confessor. Is it okay to wait until Tuesday evening to go to a different parish even though my regular confessor is available Monday or Tuesday morning?
 
I need to confess a mortal sin, but I’m feeling a little uncomfortable in this particular instance about going to my regular confessor. Is it okay to wait until Tuesday evening to go to a different parish even though my regular confessor is available Monday or Tuesday morning?
How do you know if you’ll even be able to do so Monday or Tuesday? What if you die before then?

No amount of discomfort is worth having mortal sin on your soul. Go to confession now.
 
I need to confess a mortal sin, but I’m feeling a little uncomfortable in this particular instance about going to my regular confessor. Is it okay to wait until Tuesday evening to go to a different parish even though my regular confessor is available Monday or Tuesday morning?
Just go on Monday or Tuesday morning. Get it over with. The priest has heard it all before.
 
Monday is the earliest I can go, but I get what you’re saying. I hope I don’t die before then.
 
Monday is the earliest I can go, but I get what you’re saying. I hope I don’t die before then.
Then go Monday. Pray an act of contrition and pray to God asking that you may be kept safe between now and when you go to confession.
 
Considering you’re intending to confess, then i think’s perfectly fine in this case. You’re putting it off only 1 day, not a week or a month.

Mortals sins can be really hard to confess sometimes, and I think it’s okay to be more comfortable with one priest than another. Yes, the sacrament is the same, but we’re all human, and have preferences for certain people and certain matters. That part isn’t a sin. It could be inconvenient, but I’m not seeing that here. It’s just a difference of a day. Good luck!
 
Considering you’re intending to confess, then i think’s perfectly fine in this case. You’re putting it off only 1 day, not a week or a month.

Mortals sins can be really hard to confess sometimes, and I think it’s okay to be more comfortable with one priest than another. Yes, the sacrament is the same, but we’re all human, and have preferences for certain people and certain matters. That part isn’t a sin. It could be inconvenient, but I’m not seeing that here. It’s just a difference of a day. Good luck!
It is presumption to assume you can go later and pass up an opportunity to go when you can. Repentance is not always comfortable, but we are not in the confessional for a priest. We’re in there for absolution from God. OP, go Monday not Tuesday. Do not wait. Go when you can.
 
I need to confess a mortal sin, but I’m feeling a little uncomfortable in this particular instance about going to my regular confessor. Is it okay to wait until Tuesday evening to go to a different parish even though my regular confessor is available Monday or Tuesday morning?
First off, I say, if you have mortal sin on your soul, run, do not walk, to the nearest and earliest possible confession. It has been said here again and again, you cannot shock your priest.

That said, I do not add my voice to those accusing you of wrongness or presumption. Yes, for any reason, you can also choose to go to any other priest at any convenient time. I don’t consider your discomfort a compelling enough reason, but you may freely wait till Tuesday evening and go to the other priest if you so wish.
 
That said, I do not add my voice to those accusing you of wrongness or presumption.
No one has accused him of presumption. I told him it would be, but not that he was being presumptuous.
 
Last edited:
No. It’s not ok. What logic are you using that would suggest it was ok?
 
I understand the importance of getting to confession as soon as possible but also understand asking God for his mercy and going to another priest. Asking God for time so one can go to another priest is admitting the weakness of our human nature – shame - or whatever. Trusting in God that he will give one the opportunity to go to another confessor. Only God knows the heart of a person. Understand the desire of OP and his wanting to go to another confessor as his intention is to go to confession. @BaconDinosaur By the way----Welcome to CAF BaconDino
 
My first thought is , how do you know it is a mortal sin? But I assume you thought that out.
If you feel the desire to confess, and it seems that you do, I would prioritize that over other considerations. As far as I know, there is no jurisdiction type concerns.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top