Is it okay to read Gothic fiction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter starchick21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchick21

Guest
Hey guys! This is my first thread ever! šŸ™‚ I’m an avid reader, and I enjoy books of all genres. I wanted to ask about Gothic novels, in particular those dealing with supernatural creatures (vampires, witches, etc.). My mom thinks anything Gothic is evil, and she doesn’t like my fascination with supernatural creatures. She thinks it’s an invitation to the Devil. I’m of the belief that it’s okay to read such novels as long as I know it’s all fiction. I’m a firm believer in God, and I don’t think Gothic literature will have a negative effect on my Catholic faith. All answers are appreciated šŸ™‚
 
There’s several threads on this already… many of them closed.
Please do a search on these threads…
There are two main camps:
  1. Absolute evil - stay away
  2. Hey, it’s a story, so long as you can tell the difference don’t worry.
With extremest in both major camps… and then there are the shades of grey between the two.

Most likely, you’re thread will get closed in short order.
 
Oh, sorry! I’m new to this site, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything on this subject. I’ll be sure to search for other threads šŸ™‚
 
You must preserve your ā€œoilā€ (spirit). The precepts of the Spirit are constantly contested in this world.

If you read or watch something sinful to be entertained, and not to examine what precepts people in the world are pushing - yes it is very wrong. It will corrupt your mind. You have to be strong in the Spirit if you are going to read/watch worldly things and not be corrupted by them (and you won’t be entertained either way).

If you like supernatural creatures, I recommend studying angels. They are very real, and love you. Plus, they are really cool. Did you know it only took one of them to cast Satan and all of the demons to Earth? There is nothing cooler than having God’s power behind you. Much of the world tries to downplay this fact, and make it seem ā€œsoft.ā€ God’s elect and God’s angels are anything but soft, boring, and cuddly.

As for the label ā€œGothic,ā€ many RC Churches are ā€œGothicā€ so I doubt there is a problem there.
 
Hey guys! This is my first thread ever! šŸ™‚ I’m an avid reader, and I enjoy books of all genres. I wanted to ask about Gothic novels, in particular those dealing with supernatural creatures (vampires, witches, etc.). My mom thinks anything Gothic is evil, and she doesn’t like my fascination with supernatural creatures. She thinks it’s an invitation to the Devil. I’m of the belief that it’s okay to read such novels as long as I know it’s all fiction. I’m a firm believer in God, and I don’t think Gothic literature will have a negative effect on my Catholic faith. All answers are appreciated šŸ™‚
I think there isn’t a cut and dry answer here. CS Lewis used creatures from Greek Mythology and magic to make a Christian point. This is the same sort of debate over books like Harry Potter etc and so on. I guess this is something you will have to pray and think about. Do the books glorify violence and gore? Do the book’s plot a general battle between good and evil (something CS Lewis and Tolkin did in their writings) or do the books just use supernatural or mythical creatures for the sake of themselves and the plot is a never ending battle in which evil is glorified and good never really wins? For me personally, I maybe would find other books to read. Maybe you should ask yourself if you are overly facinated with supernatural creatures.
 
Well, our Faith itself glorifies blood. The blood of Jesus, the blood of martyrs etc

I think the single deciding factor is the precepts presented in the books. If the precepts are of God or if they are against God’s precepts. If they are against God’s precepts, I would argue that even a kid’s show can be sinful. If you are watching it analytically vs to be entertained is another factor.

A general ā€œgood vs evilā€ theme does not negate sinful precepts in the slightest, btw.
 
If you like supernatural creatures, I recommend studying angels. They are very real, and love you. Plus, they are really cool. Did you know it only took one of them to cast Satan and all of the demons to Earth? There is nothing cooler than having God’s power behind you. Much of the world tries to downplay this fact, and make it seem ā€œsoft.ā€ God’s elect and God’s angels are anything but soft, boring, and cuddly.
I can’t stand even the cool-looking angels. I’m not much for feathers, armor, and all that bright light. Ick. Give me spiked chains, jagged horns, and coal-black iron with burning steel. For me, the only light that gives me warmth is the flash of a massive explosion. Mythology offers so many other fascinating creatures that appeal to all kinds of tastes. Enjoying them in of themselves seems no more different than enjoying different kinds of food. šŸ˜‰
 
Well, our Faith itself glorifies blood. The blood of Jesus, the blood of martyrs etc

I think the single deciding factor is the precepts presented in the books. If the precepts are of God or if they are against God’s precepts. If they are against God’s precepts, I would argue that even a kid’s show can be sinful. If you are watching it analytically vs to be entertained is another factor.

A general ā€œgood vs evilā€ theme does not negate sinful precepts in the slightest, btw.
I am not sure what your point is. Glorifying blood is not the same as reading or watching violent material. That is kinda a sick comparison. CS Lewis as well as Tolkin used magic and creatures from mythology. Both authors also wrote stories that had a clear good/evil battle lines. That would be the standard.
 
It is fiction. You know it is fiction. You are not mentally unbalanced. I love monster movies of the fifties- so unbelievable. I think these things are entirely morally neutral. Most of these novels are clear in their definition of evil. Just because you are a werewolf, doesn’t make you evil. It is in your DNA. Is this not the tenor of this genre?
Suggest to your mother to lighten up; that you know the difference between fact and fiction; good and evil and a vampire or two will not keep you from the Lord.
 
Like others said, Gothic literature should be fine if you know its fiction. Maybe make the point to your mother that supernatural creatures are important metaphors in literature for very human realities and can be utilized in a story with a good moral to tell. After all, the myths and legends behind them exist for a reason. Maybe she will listen to that. The vampire is the most obvious and often employed one, but others work like doppelgangers for alter-egos or other sides of the self and werewolves for the beast within. I personally have always been fascinated with werewolves because they are powerful representations of a very human conflict: to let shameful passions and/or inner demons take control of you and make you something less than human or to do the seemingly impossible and tame oneself and/or channel that energy elsewhere. Now that I think of it, this would be a good theme to employ for a our time.

Just my :twocents:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top